Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Vintage Model A Firestone Tire Display

I about fell over when I discovered this piece recently in a southwestern Mi. barn. This is a Model A, Ford Tire and rim, sitting on top of a vintage Firestone display rack. I believe the rim itself dates to the 1930's. Rack has signage on front and back. The tire itself is a Firestone 4.74/5.00-19, not particularly old but the rim definitely is. I think the rack will clean up nicely with a little elbow grease. The farmer I bought this from told me that his father owned a firestone tire outlet and he used this display in his store.
Interesting piece of Firestone advertising.

Shipping: This item is avail. to pick up at my Hillsdale Mi. location, "or" upon request, I would be willing to take to the UPS in Coldwater Mi. for them to package & ship for you. You would have to make your own arrangements at UPS before I deliver. Message with any questions or comments.

$350.00

SUNP0014.JPG SUNP0009.JPG SUNP0016.JPG SUNP0008.JPG
All Items Offered Must Have Prices

All Items Offered in This Category Must Have Prices.
72 hour bumping rule now being enforced. Please read the For Sale Guidelines.

Please read and follow all the For Sale Petroliana forum Guidelines and Non-Petro For Sale forum Guidelines
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
the rim is 19" 1930 & 31 only

buy/sell and collect gas station items,
315 794 8265
S
OP Offline
S
Now selling for $300.00, message with any questions.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, and I'm sure this tire and rack are worth the $300 your asking. But I struggle to believe this tire and rack truly belong together. And I'm a stickler for history being represented as accurately as possible. The question is, in what year did the Firestone logo change from orange and blue to red and white? Here's an ad that the ebay seller says came from a 1944 magazine that is still using the orange and blue color scheme.
I've googled the heck out of Firestone logo history trying to find better evidence with no luck. Maybe someone else can shed some light.

1944.jpg

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Semitar6
This is a Model A, Ford Tire and rim, sitting on top of a vintage Firestone display rack. I believe the rim itself dates to the 1930's. Rack has signage on front and back. The tire itself is a Firestone 4.74/5.00-19, not particularly old but the rim definitely is.

Steven C , with all due respect, I don’t think the seller made any attempt to say the rack itself was old and from the 30’s. He also didn’t say the tire/rim went with the rack. He only states the rim itself is from the 30’s (clearly stating the tire isn’t old either) and it’s all just sitting on a ‘vintage’ tire rack.

And as far as the father displaying in a store, well I guess that all depends how old the farmer was and when he displayed it in his store. If the farmer is 50 and his dad is 70, he might have only displayed it 20-30 years ago as a prop.

I completely understand your concerns, but that’s the way I read it anyway.

Last edited by Speedracer; Mon Jul 02 2018 11:55 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Ok guys I'm going to take a stab at it. This is based on can colors and when they changed. solid blue field with orange letters used from 1900 to 1935, 1936 to 1956 maybe 1957 orange and blue half and half field.
Based on the year of the rim the stand would have been solid blue firestone orange letters with three thin pinstripes top and bottom. If your dating the stand and the tire then you have to have the dot number to date the tire.
Seller didn't state that they were correct dated examples, no harm no foul. I would just assume pops changed his stand when firestone changed their colors and sent him a free one.
Every body chill LOL!

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They went from orange and blue to red and white in 1955 or 1956. I collect Firestone store catalogs. Unfortunately I am missing 55 and 56 but in 54 there was still blue and orange. In 57 there was red and white.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It's a cool display for only 300 bucks!!

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Sometimes misinterpretation of internet writing is as bad as my girlfriend misinterpreting a text message.

Not that any of it matters, but Steve Speedracer, the title of the post is, "VINTAGE FIRESTONE MODEL A TIRE DISPLAY", He then opened with "when I discovered this piece", Both statements leading me to think he believed these two pieces belonged together. Also, noticing that the OP was a somewhat new Oldgasser with only 49 post's made me think maybe he's being a little over exuberant about the piece and not speaking from true experience. And to be honest, I really wasn't 100% myself, although I was pretty sure. So I went and did some looking and believed I was correct. So I thought it would educate the OP and myself to see what information others had about the color dates for Firestone. That's all. I was in no way "calling out" the OP in a derogatory way. Just trying to clarify history. Nothing more.

I figured Matt may chime in given his incredible Firestone Wayne 50 display, and thank you Loyd for your input!! Now we know, the rest of the story.

And yes, as I too stated, a very cool piece for only $300!!

Last edited by Steven C.; Tue Jul 03 2018 04:38 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Steven, you are correct about the title. I just read the description differently.

Lloyd, I agree with you 100%. The seller never stated they were correct dated examples. No harm, no foul.

Anthony, I know you’ve been in the hobby for a while. Good luck with the sale.

Last edited by Speedracer; Tue Jul 03 2018 10:38 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
S
OP Offline
S
Yes, I'm sure the pieces are not original to each other, they were however found together, so I thought I would sell them they way they were found.

T
T
jesus!
if you're not wanting to buy it, don't give yer two cents about whether or not it all came as a package when new.

really.

T
T
jesus!
if you're not wanting to buy it, don't give yer two cents about whether or not it all came as a package when new.

really.

bump for a cool display piece.

Last edited by tred; Thu Jul 05 2018 01:35 AM.
S
OP Offline
S
I'm getting ready to move and really don't want to drag this along so, I'm willing to take $275 if someone wants it. Otherwise, I will put it in my own collection and call it a day...

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Wasn't to many years ago we could have a conversation about a item without everyone getting all bent out of shape. Doesn't seem this is the case anymore.
This is a site for collectors with the advantage of having a sell section attached. Its a place to discuss and share I was just trying to answer a question others members had about this item.
I under stand why so many have hightailed away from this site.

Tred if I upset you --well too bad! But thanks for your input.

Nice item good luck with your sale it would be a bear to pay shipping on but if it was a white wall I would be your guy.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Sat Jul 07 2018 10:43 PM.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Collectible Motor Oil Can auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved