Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
This is a very good condition, antique advertising thermometer from Hall Garage Corp. in Wausau, Wisconsin. It promotes Dodge and Plymouth cars, as well as Dodge Job-Rated Trucks. I believe this thermometer dates to the late 1930's.

This wooden thermometer works fine, and measures 10" high by 2-1/8" wide by 3/8" thick. It has the neat-looking metal shield, protecting the thermometer glass tube ball. A very nice piece for any early MOPAR collector.

The price is $110, plus the shipping.

044 (600x800) (2).jpg 048 (800x546) (546x800).jpg 047 (800x552).jpg
All Items Offered Must Have Prices

All Items Offered in This Category Must Have Prices.
72 hour bumping rule now being enforced. Please read the For Sale Guidelines.

Please read and follow all the For Sale Petroliana forum Guidelines and Non-Petro For Sale forum Guidelines
I find it interesting for a company to pay to have a nice item produced without a phone number attached.

I
I
3o's not many phones around????

J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Old L.H. Hall from Wausau is long gone, so we can't ask him why no phone number or address on the dealership's thermometer. He was quite the businessman and a very active promoter. He had repair garages, an auto dealership, and a large "Hall" branded oil company operations in that town from the late teens on. I've attached some photos, which include a good-sized, NOS painted "Hall's Certified Motor Oil" sign I have.

L.H. was quite the colorful character, and even ran for county sheriff in 1942. Pictures exist (I don't have one handy) of an open touring car Hall built in the late teen's. His dreams to enter the auto manufacturing business ended with that prototype, however. His Dodge and Chrysler dealership remained in business into the 1980's, if I remember correctly. John.

ahall.jpg ahall1.jpg 028 (781x800).jpg
Last edited by Jolly-John; Wed Nov 21 2018 03:25 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Actually the answer is quite simple. Back in those days you had a switchboard. You turn the crank on your phone got the operator and said give me Hall Dodge.
Wausau was a very small town in those days.
John I would have thought you would have known that.
You're older than I am aren't you? I'm older than dirt.

Last edited by Old Racer; Wed Nov 21 2018 03:01 PM.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Well, well, well.....nice to hear from you, John (Old Racer), even if it was in the form of a friendly cheap shot! Yes, your explanation makes perfect sense. However, we didn't have crank phones in our town, when I was growing up in the late (very late) 1940's. We'd simply pick the phone receiver up, and then wait a few seconds for a real live operator to come on the line, and ask "Number Please". If we didn't know the local number of the person or business we wanted to reach, the operator would usually have it in her "computer".....which was the memory in her brain, of course. Thanks for a trip back in time, John. Regards, John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Wed Nov 21 2018 03:26 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Andrew (Morerust),

If you need the number it’s in the truck rental pic. It’s 5855. Good luck!

Lol JK,
Steve

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
I called. The lady said they are out of thermometers. They only have calendars now!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by MORE RUST
I called. The lady said they are out of thermometers. They only have calendars now!

grin grin grin

Last edited by Speedracer; Wed Nov 21 2018 05:35 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Collectible Motor Oil Can auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved