Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#721598 Tue Dec 18 2018 08:18 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I'm sure it depends a lot on the skill of the restorer but, in general, how does the value of a restored sign compare to one in original, aged condition with some chips and rust? More or less? Sign in question below:

IMG_3805.jpeg IMG_3809.jpeg IMG_3811.jpeg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think the biggest problem with restoring, and I think you mean specifically, repainting, is that you no longer know what the original sign condition is. The unknown scares buyers and they will pass on the item. I don't mind when people restore one side of a sign, personally, because you know the sign condition. Years ago I used to fix chips on porcelain signs, etc, I dont do it anymore.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I prefer all of my signs in unrestored, original condition. I don't like the looks of touch-ups and I think restorations bring out the "unknown" like Paul mentioned. I remove all touch-ups on my porcelain signs (not as easily done on painted ones).

Just my preference,
Steve

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO as a collector, the value of a restored sign isn't much more than what the signs value was worth before. Original Porcelain is the value, filler and paint are just hiding the damage.

I have purchased a couple and found out after and stripped all the clear and repairs on one that I still was able to break even. The second one the auctioneer took back and refunded me after I showed him it had been clear coated.

Another reason to always carry a sharp pocket knife...LOL

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved