Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#721881 Sun Dec 23 2018 02:36 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I have read several threads on the Pennzoil 31" oval double sided metal sign. There seems to be a few different styles? Some have black around the edge, on some the bell can be seen through the black letters, etc. What can you tell me about this one? (the third photo is the sign in question) It looks like the fake described by Speedracer in the Jan 2018 thread pictured below (the first photo) but it also looks like the one shared by Buzz56 (the second photo). The only difference seems to be the grommets--fakes have smaller shiny brass grommets, the other has one larger and aged looking grommets. What do you think? (A.M 6-77 at the bottom)

Image 12-23-18 at 1.19 AM.jpg Image 12-23-18 at 1.31 AM.jpg IMG_3799.jpeg
Last edited by servicestationnation; Sun Dec 23 2018 02:42 AM. Reason: trying to add photo captions
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
These signs can be tough to figure out. I can tell you that the bell behind the letters (commonly referred to a full-bell) just means the sign is older. So signs with a split bell or a full bell can both be real.

A sign with a dot-r or a full-r can be real.

One thing that is sort of obvious on some of the fakes is if you look real close at the letters that are printed on an angle, the edge of the paint looks like it is stepped like a staircase (which means it was done with a modern printer of some sort).

This is one sign that’s hard to determine its authenticity without seeing it in person. It seems like most of your signs are real, so hopefully this trend continues. I applaud you in your efforts to verify the signs before you sell. Like some of the guys mentioned a reputable auction house may be the way to go. And ‘usually’ they are pretty good and noting the fakes with the knowledge they have (depending on the company and if they know signs).

I know this wasn’t much help with this sign, but like I said it’s one of the trickier sign to figure out.

-Steve

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for your help Steve! I am trying to be diligent with authenticating the signs because I have discovered 17 fakes so far among all the signs, including the soda! I just can't understand the lengths people will go to to steal a buck!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved