Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Okay, to solve this mystery....

1) I was able to get out to the garage today and get to this pump (see original pic at the top of this thread). I opened her up and Tom and Matt are correct. This is definitely a cut down 646. The bottom of the door is straight, it does not have a finished edge with a lip, and is rough to the touch. It was obviously cut. The factory must've offered a tall 646 'no ad-glass' version (not pictured in Jack's book).

2) Coincidentally, another one just popped up for sale in Michigan. I was thinking about buying it and restoring them as a matching pair. The gentleman was very nice and sent me pics of his, including a close up of the tag. It reads.... 646.

Here are some pics. The first pic is my pump opened up of the cut down door (it looks like a lip on the door, but it's just a shadow on the ground). The second pic is the one for sale near me that is the same. Notice how the bottom of the door looks like it was easily pushed in, because of no reinforcement / lip. The third pic is the tag on the one for sale. You can clearly see 646 at about one o'clock in the picture.

Thank you all for your input on this matter. It was fun solving this (even though some of you already knew the answer wink )

As for buying the other one near me, I'm still up in the air. I have posted mine for sale. If it doesn't sell, I might buy the other one.

Thanks again Old Gassers,
Steve

IMG_9736.JPG
IMG_9738.PNG (565.26 KB, 68 downloads)
IMG_9737.JPG
Last edited by Speedracer; Sat Jan 05 2019 09:54 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks guys this was great information and learning experience , I have never owned one of these cut down Bennett’s. Very interesting topic.

Rob

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here is the second picture from my last post. It’s not showing up for some reason. (It’s the pump for sale near me - same model).

125F75F9-6B38-4F90-98B7-BD019FA10618.jpeg 189026EB-A48D-4203-AF7D-85FB0BE0AB8D.jpeg
Last edited by Speedracer; Sun Jan 06 2019 10:58 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
This is a cut down Bennett i re did a couple years ago. As mentioned above, the doors were cut off at the bottom which eliminated the bottom flange. Also, the doors were cut and sectioned horizontally through the center of the window. This one had a cast iron base which was taller than the 700 series.

bennett 06.JPG

ROD [Mich.]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well that explains why there is no ad glass. Seems like a lot of work to shorten a pump. Glad they didn't do them all.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I wish I would have looked closer at my doors. Some guy just bought it and took it home the other day. It was fun figuring this out though.

I appreciate everyone's input.

-Steve

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved