Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
OP Offline
F
Let me try to attach a few photos of the pump, impeller and the corrosion between the two:

IMG_1855.JPG IMG_1857.JPG IMG_1861.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
F
OP Offline
F
Here are a few pictures of the fins themselves. The valves were free and functional and with a little cleanup they fit just fine.

IMG_1863.JPG IMG_1867.JPG IMG_1868.JPG
F
OP Offline
F
Lastly, here is the reassembled pump mounted to the base and it turns free and easy. I did add a coat of grease to the inside as suggested.

IMG_1874.JPG IMG_1875.JPG IMG_1876.JPG
F
OP Offline
F
Starting to think about reassembly. Paint is going on.
Since this is a Standard Oil of NJ pump (per the brass placard), I will go with a red white and blue scheme. My daughter is loving polar bears so I think the Powerine is a possible brand. I have not purchased the globe yet but I got this small sign to see if I liked it (and I do).
Waiting on the pump book and some more parts before I commit to final colors and globe.

IMG_1877.JPG IMG_1923.JPG
F
OP Offline
F
Some more pics.

IMG_1879.JPG IMG_1921.JPG
F
OP Offline
F
I do have one question. The pump as found on the farm, had a "contains lead" placard that was way eaten up by rust. I ordered a replacement. But now I am questioning that it is likely the "lead" sign would have been added way after the pump went into service (probably 1928-35). I doubt there was a need to label fuel with a "lead placard" until way later. So IF that is the case, should I put the "lead" sign on or not? What do you think?

F
OP Offline
F
Paint going on. After my research, I realized that a solid red may be correct but it was not going to float my boat. Brushed on alkyd primer base then Rustoleum industrial color, then clear coats.

IMG_1925.JPG
F
OP Offline
F
Assembly of pump to base and the upper support.

IMG_1930.JPG IMG_1940.JPG IMG_1941.JPG
F
OP Offline
F
Assembly of top (temporary) to mock up electrical, conduit and determine proper length of brass rods. I replaced the badly pitted and almost eaten up iron rods with brass.

IMG_1938.JPG IMG_1943.JPG
F
OP Offline
F
Working on the two original brass placards. They appear in previous posts but represent the 1) ownership by SO of NJ, and 2) the NC licensure plaque.

The placards are very thin, just between the thickness of foils and a tin can lid, and they are beat up and cracked. Help me out here. How would you preserve these with the intent of placing them back on the pump?

My thought was to use a slightly thicker sheet of brass and solder the placard to a suitable sized and shaped "backing" that would then support the rather fragile piece. Any suggestions?

IMG_0233.JPG IMG_0235.JPG IMG_1945.JPG IMG_1948.JPG
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Your pump would have had two "Contains Tetraethyl Lead" placards. You can typically look on the inside of the skins and see the 4 holes where the placards were mounted at one time. I think you have a good idea to solder a brass backing plate on the fragile rectangular-shaped tag. Then use Brasso and an old toothbrush to gentle remove the tarnish.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
My G&B T-177 also had the UL brass tag and the brass G&B ID tag. Do you have those tags?
[Linked Image]
Joe

F
OP Offline
F
Joe,

Neither of those placards were present on my pump "as found".
Thanks for the input. I'll post the progress as I move it along.

Rick

F
OP Offline
F
Joe,
Any idea when the TELead signs were required?

model72 #724724 Tue Feb 12 2019 03:11 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted by model72
Your pump would have had two "Contains Tetraethyl Lead" placards. You can typically look on the inside of the skins and see the 4 holes where the placards were mounted at one time. I think you have a good idea to solder a brass backing plate on the fragile rectangular-shaped tag. Then use Brasso and an old toothbrush to gentle remove the tarnish.

Agree about backing plate and cleaning but could consider using J-B Weld rather than solder.

Terry Tramp

I'm interested in Deep Rock and Kerr McGee items especially if they are marked B.A. Tramp Oil
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved