Print Thread
#724704 Tue Feb 12 2019 09:15 AM
A
ALSS72 Online Content OP
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
A
I've had a number of socony and mobilgas signs over the years .I have never owned this version till recently. I have always believed that the mobilgas signage didn't take effect untill the late 1930s.This particular one is marked ir32. Can anyone post your comments I would like to get more info on the transition period.thank you Al.

IMG_20190210_120056294.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
ALSS72 #724705 Tue Feb 12 2019 09:58 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Nice sign Al.

The rectangular signs like your's replaced the 5' rectangular SOCONY pole signs. The switch over to the use of Pegasus on signs started soon after the Socony and Vacuum merger in 1931. The earliest shield pole signs featuring Pegasus are from 1932. Some of them say Mobilgas, some still say SOCONY, but both have the Pegasus logo. The rectangular version like yours I've seen IR32 and IR33 and IMO were only used a short time during the initial changeover.

As Socony-Vacuum set their station image standards, the ones sporting these rectangular signs would have had to switch to a Mobilgas shield eventually. In the line of shields, the research I've done over the years has shown they were made from '32 up through the mid-50's when the "flat shield" logo was adopted. The only years I've not found examples would be during the war years. I've seen an IR41, but none from '42 through '45 inclusive. Obviously the war effort more than likely halted the production of porcelain signs during this time. On a side note, I've seen 2 different versions of the IR46 signs. Some sport the earlier serif A, or open A as your sign exhibits. Some use the new font introduced that year with the closed A.
I hope I've given you some answers to your question.....
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
ALSS72 #724720 Tue Feb 12 2019 01:25 PM
A
ALSS72 Online Content OP
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
A
Really appreciate your response Darin. I'm always trying to educate my self. Thank you.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved