Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Old Gassers,

I have a question and would like to hear your thoughts... I have a 1950 Chevy pick up with a 383 stroker motor. I currently run 93 Octane premium in it. However a gas station near me just started to sell ethanol-free gasoline, but it is only 87 Octane.

Here in lies my question.... which fuel is better for a hot-rod type engine? 93 Octane with ethanol or 87 Octane without ethanol? And why?

Thank you for your thoughts and opinions,
Steve

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Whatever gasoline you want is fine.
Lower octane level is only a problem if your engine knocks - and that can be fixed by adjusting your timing.
The real question is do you have hardened seats - if not, you need leaded fuel or a leaded additive to protect your heads.
Most engines do not need the higher octane ' Permium' fuel.
It's just a waste of money.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The main reason I run ethanol free gas in my hot rods is because they set for months at a time without being driven and I don't like the alcohol causing corrosion problems or swollen seals in the fuel systems. Even though most components are made to run it these days I'm just old school and don't think it's the best for old systems. That being said, if you don't need the octane for compression as Jim said then probably the cheaper E-10 is ok. I've built several 383 stroker motors and unless you use larger chambered heads they will usually have pretty high compression and would probably knock on lower octane fuel. You'd have to retard the timing quite a bit to stop it I'd think. The valve seats in all the later heads are ok for ethanol so your probably ok there too. Have a 392 Ford crate engine in my Mustang that makes close to 450 hp and I run 92 octane ethanol free in it and even add a little Lucas to that and it runs cool with no problems.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thank you very much for the replies. It’s always nice to learn something.

Just to be clear, it’s not about the money, just which one is better for these engines.

I wish they had 92 or 93 ethanol-free closer to my house. I’d have to drive to a marina to get it. It’s not worth driving an old car 20 miles to get gas.

I’d love to hear more people’s thoughts, if anyone would like to chime in....

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Sun Apr 28 2019 02:04 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I would stay away from the ethanol. I hear it tears down rubber and the fuel doesn’t stay good near as long. I have two classics vehicle and I run premium fuel (makes me feel good even if it is a waste) but it is the only way to stay away from ethanol here...

I also don’t use any ethanol fuel in small engines and I have no problems there.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Originally Posted by Jhaas63
I would stay away from the ethanol. I hear it tears down rubber and the fuel doesn’t stay good near as long. I have two classics vehicle and I run premium fuel (makes me feel good even if it is a waste) but it is the only way to stay away from ethanol here...

I also don’t use any ethanol fuel in small engines and I have no problems there.

My thoughts are the same don't use it in anything other than daily driver. If its subject to sit for long periods I use 92 BP or Mapco Both are owned by BP.
Their premium is Amoco leaded after they bought Amoco. Motorcycles ,small engines seem to run better,cooler . Built motors will ping knock with out it.
Yes you can retard timing to cure some of it. Now you have dollars spent and not getting full potenial from your motor. Your timing needs to be set to your cam to get the most bang for your buck.
I agree that today motors are built to run it. But when you tear them down depoist buildup is shocking. If I have a lot of money tied up I stir clear of ethanol.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Speedracer

I wish they had 92 or 93 ethanol-free closer to my house. I’d have to drive to a marina to get it. It’s not worth driving an old car 20 miles to get gas.

I’d love to hear more people’s thoughts, if anyone would like to chime in....

Thanks,
Steve

If I had a 1950's truck with a hot rod engine in it … and it's not a daily driver … the marina would be my go to spot to gas up … best of both worlds.

Last edited by Ohio Oil; Sat May 04 2019 05:27 AM.
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Octane has to do with how much the fuel can be compressed before it combust. Higher compression engines run best on higher octanes. Go to the airport and get some Sunoco 102. You'll get set back in the seat but have a big smile on your face.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the additional info fellas.

I have a lot of gas pumps and even more signs, and I still have to ask questions about gasoline.... LOL

You guys are great, any more opinions are welcome.

-Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Tue May 28 2019 07:41 PM.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've been running premium pump gas in my BBC for almost 10 years now and never had any fuel related issues.
Now that I'm around 10.5:1 compression I do run 102 from time to time just because it's fun!!
Your stoker motor will be fine on pump gas.

Last edited by 71chevelle; Tue May 28 2019 09:00 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I really wish that there was a kit to switch our old engines (or any engine) to Hydrogen! Talk about a blast! grin grin grin

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved