Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I was sitting in my garage evaluating some of my Petroliana Collection when I ran across these two signs...promises from Corporate Office that these service station restrooms are guaranteed to be clean. In my experience as a human being I have to admit that the bathrooms in service station are the worst of the worst!

I was taken back to the scene when Lloyd (Dumb and Dumber) took the key (attached to the cinder block so no one would have make off with it! Good idea!) to the service station in order to relieve himself and how dirty everything was. It seems to me that it is always like that!

Is that your experience also and thus are our Corporate Office Restroom Pledge signs in our collections really a joke? I thought I would ask to see what someone else thought about it...and perhaps I had missed the clean ones for the past 67 years. What do you think?

BA88F5F8-4FA2-41A7-83BE-53F953ADC2A6.jpeg D5BE14F5-7B8B-429C-BBA8-E7FAFE3AC3AE.jpeg
Last edited by Stephenwarren30; Mon Oct 14 2019 11:40 AM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Usually a Port A potty is a cleaner choice. Better after the self serve coinvent stores came along. 1950's-60's were the worst.

K
K
There were some nasty bathrooms in those old gas stations. I remember on vacation one time getting in trouble from my parents after reading a poem that I obviously didn't fully understand off one of those walls and reciting when I got back in the car.

Now the other end of the spectrum, if you're ever in one of the gulf states and stop at a Buc-ee's, visit the restrooms there. Not only is it one of the largest I've ever seen, but they constantly have someone in there cleaning! (They also have a ridiculous number of pumps. I was at pump 238 when I stopped at the one by the Texas Motor Speedway)

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Remember some the objects chained to the key?

D12817C0-761F-436E-8373-3003C766E58D.jpeg
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
No, those signs and pledges were not a joke at all. Back then, station owners, operators, managers, and yes employees had pride in their stations. I'm sure there were some restrooms that were not up to par, but they were the exceptions not the rule.
Now however, is a different story.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Y
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Y
My parents did not get the UNION OIL CO. Sparkle awards on a regular basis by having dirty bathrooms. The Sparkle Gals were out yearly to check our service station for cleanliness and service. The only person that set the bar higher for our bathroom standards than the Sparkle gals was my mother!!!

Collect UNION 76 items only. Contact me if you have any interesting items for sale.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
This all depends on how old you are. While I don't remember the signs above, I am pretty sure if I spend a few hours going through all the literature I have I will probably find something on them.
My memories go back to the early 1960 where I remember stopping a at very old, one pump, station, asking where was the men's room. I was told to look for the shed out back with the half moon on the door.
I will say this, now with all the great very clean stations, both outside and inside I do get a little confused when I go into the new style men's rooms. Now there are two sizes of urinals, one high and one low, I don't know if I should just rinse it off or give it a bath.
Hey it is late at night, maybe we can all take a little time off to have a laugh or two.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

to Stephenwarren and others -I dont know what roads you traveled or for that matter what part of the country -but speaking for the Texaco Rest Room Program it was anything but bogus.
I was employed by Texaco during the period when the pledge signs were introduced and I knew Paul Hicks(his signature on pledge sign),was in his company numerous times as a salesman and this
program was a serious program and anyone who did not take it seriously did so at their peril -I'm speaking of sales personnel. During this period, there were sales people driving white cars whose assignment
was strictly checking rest rooms on major roadways --they pulled signs where rest rooms were not maintained and I can tell you from experience there was a lot of grief when this happened in ones sales assignment
Sure there were rest rooms with cinder blocks -bricks and whatever affixed to the rest room keys -but I'm certain the station did not have the pledge sign of the green/white large RRR sign or the later tan one
Many dealers questioned the benefit -Many were mechanics whose could care less about the public and the appreciation for clean rest rooms. It was an interesting period of time, but I can assure you it was not a bogus program -at least not with Texaco Inc.
DSFoster

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
https://youtu.be/8Ig5vcY9R50

😂😂😂😂😂

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
L
L
Here is a Texaco Leather Key Chain Strap for Ladies Room (sadly someone painted Men over Ladies).
I remember Texaco Stations were the only stations my parents would stop at to buy gas and the rest rooms were always clean.

IMG_4784.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Jack Sim

I will say this, now with all the great very clean stations, both outside and inside I do get a little confused when I go into the new style men's rooms. Now there are two sizes of urinals, one high and one low, I don't know if I should just rinse it off or give it a bath.
Hey it is late at night, maybe we can all take a little time off to have a laugh or two.

Jack Sim

Lol

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved