Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#739543 Mon Nov 25 2019 10:22 AM
F
FishGas Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Finally got a Visual. Have ALWAYS wanted one of these. Less than 2 months ago the bug hit when I picked up a Tokheim 39 Tall. Got for a nice price and it "Rustored up" beautifully. What I really wanted though was a visual but as everyone here knows they are getting harder and harder to find. Finding one not completely rusted out, one that hasn’t already been restored, not too far away to go pick up, or by someone not asking an arm and a leg…. Challenging.. Started looking on Facebook Messenger and found what looked to be a good candidate. MANY thanks to Speedracer from this Forum for his input and assistance with helping me gauge what I should expect or pay. Guy selling this one, a Wayne Pump had had it inside for about 25 years and had planned on putting it in his mancave. That dream came and went so he wanted to find someone who would enjoy it. From the pic’s it was certainly a Wayne and it looked like what I was looking for. Good color, great patina and just about all the parts. Wasn’t a fan of the hail screen and it was a little dirty but I was willing to make the 3 hour drive to Texarkana to have a look. Visually it was what I was looking for and from what I could tell there were no cracks in the glass. Wayne plate says it is a 665 which I hadn’t heard of but what do I know I’m a newbie (Jack Sim’s book does delineate a 665 I uncovered later). Did the deal loaded her up and paid the man $2,100. I was happy with that. Took a WHOLE lot of restraint to not also buy the 4 panel Tokheim 39 Tall he had there…. I have a Tokheim 39 and just don’t have room for another one. Got home with no issues and the next morning in the daylight started to determine what I actually had. In the morning sun the glass started putting off that blue hue. This was a BIG welcome surprise. With the hail screen removed this was starting to be a real possibility. I took off the Bonnet and looking at the top glass the Jar Lid the inspection wire through the screws was even still intact (in my excitement I forgot to take a pic of that!). Took the glass lid off and started flushing in the water and car wash soap. The mild dirt/dust started cleaning very easily and the gallon markers weren’t even corroded. Couldn’t believe how awesome thing was cleaning up!! After getting her stood up it’s time to fill the tank. NO leaks. She held water all night long. The tank is mint! Don’t worry guys the cold hasn’t hit down in Texas yet and this beauty will NOT be containing water. Had to throw the skins back on, rig up a light (I’ll have to re-wire through the condit later) and “borrow” the 13.5” globe from my Tokheim 39. As the night progressed the water in the tank with the light, the blue glass and globe this thing came back alive. Fantastic!! Only a few details to go and I will begin enjoying this for a VERY long time. Guess I really am already enjoying it!! Strong contenders for the brand I will be displaying are the “Flying A”, non-chicken wing or possibly HC Sinclair. Wrestled with a 15” or 13.5” Globe. 15” globes don’t have the same availability as all the choices with 13.5”. I’m kinda picky when it comes to these details. This pump had some type of round decal on the front and the size seems to be around 8” in diameter from the faint silhouette. Another point of frustration. Flying A decals (Red, Round, with “full wings”) that I have found are 3”, 6” and 12”. Can’t find 8”. Flying A Globe Glass (Round, Red, with Flying A with wings) seems to denote Ethyl Gasoline on the repops I’ve found. This I found odd as the decals don’t reference “Ethyl Gasoline” the decals say just “Gasoline”. The HC Sinclair DOES have 8” decal and there are plenty of 13.5” globe glass makers out there. Seems this pump had a 1 ¼” hose which I’m not finding and I certainly want a correct period nozzle so that will be a hunt as well. Pump handles are available repop and I haven't decided on brass or alum. All in all I have a AWESOME pump to start with. Thanks to this community and again Speedracer for a place to share my success!!

As Listed.jpg Cleaning Skins off.jpg Borrowed Globe.jpg Night.jpg
Last edited by FishGas; Mon Nov 25 2019 12:21 PM.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
FishGas #739549 Mon Nov 25 2019 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
From my experience, visibles always look better with a 15 inch globe on top. They are so high in the air that the smaller globes look pretty tiny and out of proportion with the pump. There are lots and lots of 15 inch reproduction globes available and I'm sure you could find one to your liking. If its going to be sitting outside, reproduction is the way to go!
As far as proper nozzles, that pump takes a special nozzle with a locking ring on it that fits into the 2 round tabs inside the drainback cover and locks the nozzle in place when twisted. Wayne company had a nozzle for this purpose that was branded with their logo and several jobbers followed with replacement nozzles that are the same but without the logo. You can expect to pay $100 or so for the unbranded ones and more ,of course, for the Wayne branded ones.
Its easy to find most Wayne visible parts here on Old Gas, as they were a very large company that produced a lot of these visible pumps! Looks like you are off to a great start, and good luck with finding the rest of your needs!
Your night picture was too large so the computer turned it sideways. I shrunk it down a little and turned it for you!

Night.jpg
Last edited by K W FRITH; Mon Nov 25 2019 12:50 PM.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
FishGas #739553 Mon Nov 25 2019 02:19 PM
F
FishGas Offline OP
OP Offline
F
K W Frith Thank you for fixing that pic. I could not figure out for the life of me why that one wouldn't load the way I wanted when all the others did! Thanks for your comments also. I'll be looking into some Wayne parts so folks look for me in the Wanted Forum!

FishGas #739554 Mon Nov 25 2019 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=708891&gonew=1#UNREAD

Here is a link to a nozzle that was posted by a member. It is a generic version of the one you need and would be proper for that pump.

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
FishGas #739558 Mon Nov 25 2019 03:55 PM
F
FishGas Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Awesome! Thank you K W Frith! I really had no idea what nozzle to look for. There are DOZENS of them brass and aluminum on EBay and otherwise. This Forum is a BIG help.

FishGas #739561 Mon Nov 25 2019 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We have lots of unique 15.0" reproduction globes available - and we make matching decals in ANY size you want.

Just click on our logo below to be taken to our website.

Later . . .

Jim

FishGas #739573 Mon Nov 25 2019 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Very nice buy Arthur. It looks great.

It’s been said on here before... be careful, they multiply.

-Steve

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
FishGas #739581 Mon Nov 25 2019 08:36 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Wow, that glass cylinder cleaned up NICE. Great find on a nice patina visible pump!

BrianH

Brian H
BrianH #739586 Mon Nov 25 2019 09:13 PM
F
FishGas Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thx BrianH. I was blown away as I was cleaning it!

FishGas #739600 Tue Nov 26 2019 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Congratulations Arthur on your second pump purchase!!! Nice rustic looking visible!!! I can tell your both excited and now officially hooked ! Being a certified financial planner it’s time for you to put together a pump budget because like others have said it does not stop here LOL!

Rob

FishGas #739604 Tue Nov 26 2019 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As per your request, here are some pictures to help you. The first is a Wayne branded locking nozzle sitting in the drainback tube and cocked against the pump so as to be able to padlock it to the pump. Second picture is a vertical view into the drainback tube showing the 2 small tabs that interlock with the nozzle to prevent its removal when padlocked. The third picture is the stamped metal handle that would have been correct for your pump.
NOW--remember that these items were intended for use with this pump by Wayne Pump Company. When in actual use, many of these items often were damaged and replaced by the station owner, with pieces that were handy, or maybe something cheaper that did the job just as well! You don't need these EXACT pieces to display your pump correctly. It will be just fine with a jobber nozzle and a homemade handle to pump the gas with. Its really all about your preferences, as this is YOUR pump and its you that has to look at it every day!
You chose an excellent first visible and it looks great "as is"!

A1.jpg A2.jpg A3.jpg

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
F
FishGas Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Wonderful help here KW FIRTH. Thank you!! Pictures are worth 1,000 words! Totally makes sense. I continue to be amazed at the simple functional nature of these old pumps. Life needs more of this!!

Not sure about my drain back as there are no "tabs". No way to know if the drain back is original. It is old but will never know if it's been replaced. Thanks for sharing. I will be leaving this Wayne as is (not painting) but I do want to get some solid finishing touches.

Gas Pump Rob you are correct. The key is a "Budget" LOL. All Financial Planning does start with a budget!! Budget for $$ and "Room" to put these beauties! Gotta find me a short (sub 6' something) for my office! Tokheim Short maybe...

Last edited by FishGas; Tue Nov 26 2019 11:29 AM.
FishGas #739920 Sun Dec 01 2019 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice pump!!

Braden Splichal

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved