Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Funny thing about this column and the value question column, people who ask questions get under the table offers to sell and this forum states clearly that is not acceptable. Have said this for years and Moderators just give the excuse we can't do anything about it. Well then why is there rules when some people here do not follow them and can get away with it time and time again. It is degrading the people who ask the questions and does not get them possibly what could have been gotten. To me it is just B ---- and I think that either you have rules or you have to state that there is no rules and stand by it. Just like an immigration policy, either it is ok for everyone or forget it all together. Same people do it and it is under the table.

Craig
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I don’t think there is any rule against doing that for this forum (General Petro) is there? I resist doing this in the Value forum due to the prohibition but I’ve certainly PM’d people a time or two from this section to see if something may be available to purchase depending on the situation. Is there a rule I’m unaware of? If there is, others may not be aware as well. I just reviewed everything I could see and don’t see anything pertaining to the General Petro section??? I do agree if there are rules they need to be followed. Maybe a Mod can clarify.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I think this rule needs to be done away with. Who cares if a deal has been made in any one of the forums. I think there are too many people on here who get their "panties" in a wad because they didn't get to the item first. As long as both parties (seller and buyer) are happy with the sale, then its nobody else's business. If you wanted the item and didn't get there first, better luck next time. If you don't want to sell the item, just say ITEM IS NOT FOR SALE, period. Folks need to respect that and if not dealt with accordingly. We need to remember a couple of things, 1) We only have these items for a short time and you can't carry them beyond the grave. 2) Be thankful that you have the means to afford this hobby, there are a lot of folks who would love to have some of these items but can't afford them. 3) There are always going to be underhanded deals, that is just part of life. 4) Have fun with this hobby, because that is all it is, a hobby. I have watch other hobbies (baseball cards and Hot Wheels) go from bust to boom then back to bust again.

Online Cool
The Petroliana Value Questions and the Showcase and Stories forum sections both have a rule against offers to buy or sell on the forum. That rule is enforced when a moderator sees it or is notified by a member of it. We felt years ago that allowing buying and selling on those forum sections could do two things: 1) It could inhibit some people from posting their questions or new finds 2) It could turn those forums into just a duplicate of the already available For Sale sections.

There is no rule prohibiting members from PM messages, email messages or phone calls to make an offer to buy or sell unless it is done in a harassing way. Oldgas.com has no interest in regulating private communication between consenting people.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
TN Volunteer, Just following rules and not panty in a wad. If there are no rules please let me know, As the Mod says both sections have a rule against this. If no one cares then it is just a dog eat dog thing then. Does not matter how much an item is, it is the rules that we follow.

Craig
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Mod just said that it’s perfectly ok to PM asking if something is for sale...that’s what you were concerned about, right Craig? Now we know.

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
It just says above that the questions against offers to buy or sell from Old gas Jim potts doesn't it ? Or are we now splitting hairs ??

Last edited by Craig Osbeck; Sun Mar 01 2020 09:14 PM.

Craig
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Read his second paragraph. He’s saying it’s against the rules to post in the showcase and value sections (not general petro) that something is for sale.

Then he says PM’ing someone to ask if something is for sale is ok in any forum.

Last edited by petropumps; Sun Mar 01 2020 09:20 PM.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I thought that even PMing someone if it was for sale was against the rules. Thanks for the clarification. I would rather PM someone anyway, I don't want everybody in my business when trying to buy something.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Craig, you've been airing this same complaint for years, evidently you haven't learned that waiting it out has not worked in your favor. Time to change your strategy.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
WOW, You are right KZ . So PM is the same as asking the question, like I said, just splitting hairs to get what you want. Why then have a rule to not ask the question in the column, but ok just to PM to ask the same question ? Either there are rules for that or no rules like I said. And to make it more unclear , the rules change about PMing now when pressed as KZ has mentioned that this is not the first or second time.

Last edited by Craig Osbeck; Mon Mar 02 2020 08:27 AM.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think it’s all about keeping the forum pages clean. Or it will start to look like FB with all kinds of junk.

It’s basically about.... If the forum is about ‘value’ or ‘showcase’ or some other topic, let’s keep it to that topic. However, if you want to ask a guy personally if he’d sell something, that’s between you and him, so use a private message. You can’t keep two people from talking.

The rule specifically states you can’t ask to buy or sell on the specific forum page itself (for all to see).

I think Jim has it perfect. Keep the topic about the topic; anything you want to do on your own, is up to you - just do it in a PM to keep the page clean. Like I said, you can’t keep two people from talking, so just use PM only.

....And as always, when using a PM, be polite and don’t harass them.

That’s my two cents.

Last edited by Speedracer; Mon Mar 02 2020 08:45 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
As it says on this forum, guess the way around this is just PM. Guess taking the wording as it says on this forum does not mean any part of the forum. Just use the alter way of saying the same thing on the PM. Why even state that then, why state if you want to ask for sale then PM the person ? Slippery
Rules, follow them completely or state the meaning entirely. No back door .

Craig
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Guys, this is an Internet forum about gas and oil antiques. Let’s enjoy ourselves.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I hear what is being said. I think Craig and Jim are both right, however they are expressing two different facets of the same thing. Jim is talking about the philosophical idea of the forums. Craig is talking about the technical idea of the forums. The philosophy of the forums is to deal with each particular forum topic in its particular setting. But technically each forum should follow the set rules. But your vision is affected depending on which one you make as the priority. Do you go to the store to buy food or get the items on your shopping list? Really both. But the “food buyers” and the “list getters” have a little different way of looking at it. It is all ok! Oldgas.com...what a great place!!!

Last edited by Stephenwarren30; Tue Mar 03 2020 08:19 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved