Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#748662 Wed May 13 2020 07:29 AM
S
S8ft1 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
First and foremost allow me to introduce myself and say that I am "new" to this site, first post ever. I was going to describe myself as a "Weekend Picker" but I read a few comments, replies on the post and see one comment where someone did as such and the response was "Who Cares" (reference to the picker comment). That in itself made me question the group but thought there is always one "want-a-be" comedian (usually not funny at all) and the other post were legit. To continue: I ran across a unique item that I identified (research) as a vintage gas station "Island Light" and often referred to as a "Cluster Light" due to the fact that on the shade are mounted two smaller spot light receivers. My questions are the obvious:

Q. Is there a specific name, model applied to such a light?

Q. Can someone give me an approximate date as to the light?

Q. Are these sought after lights?

Q. Interest, value?

Whatever information or guidance the group can offer I would truly appreciate.

Thank you..

IMG_50681.jpg IMG_50661.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Welcome to Oldgas.com
There is some lettering on the side of the fixture base. What does it say?
It looks similar in purpose, but not quite like the typical Revere brand island "mushroom" lamp that has an inverted bulb and cast aluminum harp.
Mushroom shade pole island lights were used at stations without a canopy from the 1930s to 1950s when they were gradually replaced by more efficient fluorescent fixtures.
Lots of collectors want island lights to enhance their outdoor gas station pump display or to use as a driveway light at their garage.
Value is always dependent on condition. Most of these style light shades have a porcelain finish. Yours looks to have been repainted at least twice. Chipping appears to go deep into the porcelain. If the paint could be chemically stripped off to reveal nice porcelain, it would be desirable, but that is probably not your situation. The top spotlight appears to have a broken base connection which could be challenging to repair because of the unique way it connects to the harp. Collectors who want a shade with nice porcelain and standard Revere top spotlight setup would pass on buying which would hurt your value. But since it is different from most island lights, some collectors would want to try to repaint and repair it just to have something different.

Here is a link to day & night photos of a station with island pole lamps, different from yours, but they show how they were used:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=748642#Post748642

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved