Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#7738 Tue Mar 11 2008 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jim was just sharing some info. on what he has found with his lenses and bodies and everyone just jumped down his throat! Nice job.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#7739 Tue Mar 11 2008 06:14 AM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
and thats what you get for trying to help on here Jim,,,why bother ?

[This message has been edited by Wes Hague (edited 03-11-2008).]

Wes.......
#7740 Tue Mar 11 2008 06:54 AM
I will tell you why he bothers.

Because he cares enough to try and help the hobby.

Thank you Jim,

Ryan

------------------
visit my website for original gas pump parts

thepumpdump.com

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

#7741 Tue Mar 11 2008 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Okay guys - I went out and pulled some bodies off the shelf and measured them.

You are correct, the overall edge-to-edge dimension across the flat flange is consistent.

However, this is not the problem area for lens fitment.

The angled 'step-up' immediately next to the edge of the flat flange is different from side to side. One side measures about 1/16" tall and the other measures about 1/8".

This is where the upper edge of the glass (being a larger diameter since it's on an angle after 'slumping') could contact this angled rise. If the lens is just a tiny bit large, or out of round, etc., the upper edge will contact the higher step-up. This can be enough interference to raise the lens off the flat flange and not allow the snap ring to fully engage in it's groove.

I did see some variation of this height difference on the bodies I checked. But ALL were consistent in the fact that one side differed from the other.

Those of you that have not had any problems, good for you!

I was just relating my experience with these bodies.

Later . . .

Jim

#7742 Tue Mar 11 2008 08:19 AM
+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
I Bought a couple of those bodys from Jim a while back,when I installed the lenses ,one side fit good the other side was tight , the snap ring would not set down in it,so I removed the lense that fit and tryed to put it on the other side and it didn't fit either so I called jim and he told me that he thought it was a tad smaller on one side , he didn't know why but he said that some where that way, I think its not the side to side measurement thats off as much as its the depth of the ring cavity. when the same lense fits in both sides but the snap ring will only fit one side that tells me that its not the lense thats the problem, and to further prove this point I installed a Norwalk Streamliner Lense in the same body and got the same results and I believe Mike was the Manufacturer of that lense. so two different lenses made by two different Globe makers with the same results . as I said I think the problem was in the manufacturing of the parts its just not deep enough , and that could come from several things, different composits of metal, a worn die/press,a different snap ring maybe there all made in China Who knows but as far as someone making poor quality lenses thats just not true, I own work from both these Gentlemen and have found the work from both to be top notch , we need two Lense makers in this Hobby because not everyone can have all the Ideas all the time .They are both very talented men at there given trade , as far as these bodys go I don't think that this problem was in all of the bodys some may have just slipped through the cracks . but I'll tell ya one thing for sure ,Jim replaced the problem bodys that I had with other bodys with no problem , I'm sure Mike would have done the same thing. Integrity is what its all about plain and simple, where Lucky to have these guys in the hobby. lets face it you don't throw stones through the window of a Dealership if you have car problems do ya? so why should this be any different, If you have a problem talk to these guys but don't draw lines in the sand .

Chris Holt
#7743 Tue Mar 11 2008 09:24 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Look...I wasn't trying to stir the "he's my favorite vendor" pot with my post. I'm stating clear fact...I've sold more of those bodies than anybody, literally hundreds, probably drawing near to a thousand truth be told. I've sold the majority of these NOT to hard-core experienced collectors or restorers, but mostly to new or at least green restorers and the others to casual decorators. IF there were major problems with these, trust me, they'd be lined up around the block calling for a refund. I realize Jim wasn't like, totally trashing them OR him, but I wanted to offer my perspective so ya'll would understand, any issue is very, very minor. Steel globe bodies under $100 were about to become a thing of these past much like $1/gal gas until Mike stepped up & made a major investment in tooling and a warehouse full of inventory. The dog I have in the race is that I have several thousand dollars worth of these on the shelf and have them in 25,000 circulated catalogs...so, I'd like to see them keep a good reputation. I can assure you, across the board, I have FAR less issue with these bodies than I have ever had with any other bodies I've ever carried.

#7744 Tue Mar 11 2008 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's Jim's quote:
"That still doesn't change the fact that one side of Mike's new body is a different opening dimension from the other - which I thought might be Tom's problem."
I didn't know that disagreeing with someone on here was classified as "jumping down his throat" What it was was several people having a different opinion, I think we're entitled to that. Maybe this is a precursor to the anouncement of another globe body maker. If Jim is having problems with Mike's bodies maybe he should address it with him directly instead of turning this into a high school football game with opposing sides waving their pom poms at each other.

#7745 Tue Mar 11 2008 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Tom:

If you want to stop by at the next show we're at together - I'll make sure you have a body that your lenses will fit into.

'nuf said!

Later . . .

Jim

[This message has been edited by T-way (edited 03-11-2008).]

#7746 Tue Mar 11 2008 10:36 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Easy fix..

Roll some rings in a slightly smaller wire dia.

regardless of who made what, there is tolerances involved & I am willin tp bet that if you measure a lot of original lenses you will see a bit of variation..

#7747 Wed Mar 12 2008 08:34 AM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Has anyone bothered to talk to Slama and ask him what's up with his product? Mike is a great guy and will give you the straight story

#7748 Wed Mar 12 2008 12:17 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I visited with Mike for about 2-3hrs. on Sun. He says that he'd had a couple of bodies (out of maybe 1,500 or so)with an "issue". He replaced them no problem.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved