Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#785133 Mon Dec 12 2022 04:14 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Here's a link to my collection that will be auctioned off on Mecum's site. Porcelain signs, gas pumps, air meters, plus so much more:

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/kiss...olverine-pump-plate-collection/page/all/

1 member likes this: buzzy56
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Some cool air meters there.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
yeah it's been hard deciding whether to sell it all or just some of it. i've been collecting for 40+ years. I ended up doing the entire collection. retired last year & i just don't want to leave it to my daughter to figure out what to do with it. she has no clue what this stuff is worth & would probably either give it away or sell it at a garage sale.

1 member likes this: Gasman84470
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bill, that is a really great collection, and I’m not discrediting your collection but in my opinion Mecum really should mark/label the reproductions in the descriptions.

Last edited by Speedracer; Mon Dec 12 2022 11:43 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
thank you ............. you know when i filled out the particulars on each piece (219 of them) along with about 1000+ photo's i stated just that, along with condition of each item rating them 1 to 10. i also estimated the values too. it took me 2 or 3 weeks working on it a good 5 hours every day to get it done. most of the item are all original with no fake b.s. i really never bought any junk. anyway, i thought all that info would be posted but not so. kinda disappointed about that but it was not my choice or decision. if you have any questions about any items prior to jan 9th feel free to ask questions. i have this forum set up so i receive emails to any new posts. have a great holiday season!

M
M
Good luck with the sale! We'll probably bid on a few. Should have given us a shot at selling them smile. We've set a few world records on pump plates.

Feb 17th-18th Richmond Auctions: https://bid.richmondauctions.com
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
yeah i thought about selling it 1 piece at a time on here, ebay, facebook, etc., but just didn't want to deal with the shipping, time involved, plus the scammers & thieves on ebay with ebay not protecting you as a seller. anyone on ebay can buy a sign that is 100% original, mint condition, etc and file a claim and they get refunded 100% & ship back a brick with no recourse or protection for myself. on top of that i would be forced to pay the return shipping. imagine the return shipping cost on a gas pump, ugh!

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Very nice ! Quality quality right there . Good luck with your sale and future ventures .

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thank you very much & it was why I was torn between on selling all or part of my collection. It took many many years to find the quality/condition that i desired but, well worth the wait/search.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So you are the one that said signs are original?
Cause there is alot of fakes in there called original.

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
if you read my posts before you'd see that Mecum left out a lot of info. i have ZERO control on what they post. i even asked them why did they have me spend all those hours including all that info if it was never gonna be stated. i'm not trying to deceive or scam anyone as you insinuate. i spent over 3 weeks of my time to investigate every single item trying to represent, date & grade all my items as truthfully as they are. as i also stated if you have a question about any item you can ask me. I also asked Mecum can any buyer call to get more info on any item & they said 100% yes.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm sure your an honest guy but if the auction company is miss representing a few of your items as original when they are not , maybe you could list the newly made fake items on this site . It will help the people out there that have a hard time seeing the difference ,Thanks

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pull your misrepresented items away from the MECUM auction.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
2 members like this: huskybob, Wasatch Man
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mecum's best at selling cars, trucks and tractors, not petro. They do have original stuff as well, to be fair. Barrett-Jackson is usually the same way.

Good luck with the auction. I hope all issues get resolved. I don't see anything Gilmore, so I won't be bidding on anything. cool

Last edited by GILMORE; Fri Dec 16 2022 01:51 PM.

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I'm not commenting on what the seller should or shouldn't do...

However the buyers at Mecum and BJ for the most part lack the sophistication to know the difference between an original and fake ... and for the most part really don't care.

1 member likes this: hawkike
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved