Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Chad;

1-piece globes were manufactured in three different ways. The Skelly 1-piece that Brian posted is a molded 1-piece globe and the Skelly logo was painted onto the glass and fired on. Globes like the Newports and the North Side Coal & Oil globe I had posted earlier were molded 1-piece bodies and the backgrounds were acid etched into the glass and painted. If you look at an early 1-piece etched globe there will be some small irregularities in the etching where the acid ran.

The third type of 1-piece is the cast variety. Teaxco and Gulf were the two main companies that used that style of globe. The Texaco Ethyl 1-piece that Gasoildude posted a picture of is a cast globe. The Texaco Ethyl letters, the black circular ring inside the letters, and the "T" in the middle of globe are all cast into the glass. The letters stand out probably an 1/8" or more from the smooth glass body around them. Hope this info helps and we will be posting more globes and info in the coming weeks. Take a few minutes and share your photos of 1-piece globes! Thanks!

Lonnie

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm not a globe expert but I believe there were also some one piece globes that had decals on both sides. I do not know the history on these, they were probably a temporary thing as the decals wouldn't have been as durable as the baked/ etched globes.

[This message has been edited by Wes Maxwell (edited 03-15-2008).]

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Wes;
You are correct, I have seen a few 1-piece globes with decals on. Sinclair is one company that did this fairly often. I am not sure why they did that since the decals would not have held up very long. I assume it is something they did as a trasition piece.

Aaron is gone on spring break this coming week so any pictures from us will not happen until the end of next week. Please take a few minutes and post pictures of your 1-piece globes. Thanks!

Lonnie

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is my one piece Hi-Speed Gasoline Globe....

Randy

Always looking for Hy-Flash Gas/Miller Oil, Hi-Speed Gas/ Hickok Oil and Paragon Refining items from Toledo,Ohio.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Here is the first globe of the first curb side pump on Commerce St. in San Antonio, TX. It is etched.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here is photo of an uncommon Kayo etched globe. Thanks to those who have shared so far, lets see some more!

Aaron

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm In.

Can you Standard guys, look at the crown and email me what marketing region you think its from.

Kim

[This message has been edited by SuperAmerica Man (edited 03-22-2008).]

Wanted
*SuperAmerica SA, Holiday or Erickson
*Loxtercamp, Greenwald Service, Greenwald Standard Oil.
*Grey Crown Globe, Standard Oil Signs, Posters
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Super America Man, I would say it is Ohio marketing.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Wes & Lonnie for the explanation. So the globes must have come in a common size and then a template, depending on the brand, would be placed over the glove and the exposed portion of the globe etched in acid, which I assumes must remove a thin layer of the glass. The etched area then is painted.

That's a lot of work!

Chad Haas
Chief Gearhead
VAULT�
12725 SW Millikan Way, Suite 300
Beaverton, OR 97005-1687
http://www.vaultgarage.com
http://www.facebook.com/VaultGarage
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

I have a few British canteens if you guys would like to see them, this one from National Benzole would date from around 1928

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would also like to add to Lonnie's description on the one-piece etched globes that not only were they ACID etched but that they were also BLASTED in a special cabinet much like todays sand-blasting techniques. The way I know this to be fact is I own a advertising page out of National Petroleum New magazine that shows the process. There are 3 globes pictured that were done this way. The advertisment was for Cinncinati Advertising Co. If I can dig it out of my files, I will scan it and post the picture here.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
These two pictures are of the canteen shaped Shell etched one piece globes. The Super Shell has always been one of my favorites, the plain Shell I am not quite as fond of (I'll let you guys guess why).

Aaron

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Were these west coast Shell? I've never seen the canteen style in pictures from Roxana territory.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dated May 24, 1924. National Petroleum News. The ad shows how the globes were ground in a blast cabinet. Took me a while to dig this out of all my old papers. LOL

[This message has been edited by roger cherry (edited 03-26-2008).]

[This message has been edited by roger cherry (edited 03-26-2008).]

[This message has been edited by roger cherry (edited 03-27-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Gary;

Great globe, I would love to see more European globes if you have them! Globes from other countries are slowly gaining in popularity here in the states. In the next few days we will be posting photos of some Canadian 1-piece globes. Thanks for the posts so far and keep them coming!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved