Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
This month's COMPANY OF THE MONTH is MARTIN and their affiliates. Martin was always based in Illinois. I don't know for sure but I think it first started in the Carbondale (southern) part of Illinois and soon also had established a second headquarters in Chicago. This happened about the mid 30's,same time I was born. The company lasted until sometime in the late 80's or early 90's. As I tried to learn more about the company for all of us several parts of the picture became cloudy. Product labels that are very old show dual headquarters in both cities under the name MARTIN OIL COMPANY. Later on in the mid 50's the division in the Chicago area became MARTIN OIL SERVICE while the Carbondale company remained MARTIN OIL COMPANY. MARTIN OIL COMPANY had stations in southern Illinois and a few other southern states in the middle of the country and in 1977 sold out to J.D. STREET from Maryland Heights, MO. They owned the ZEPHYR brand and the MARTIN OIL CO. stations were rebranded to ZEPHYR.And as far as I can learn thats the end of MARTIN OIL COMPANY. MARTIN OIL SERVICE, the Chicago area divsion, had grown much larger and had grown coast to coast. They seemingly had stations in selected states in no particular pattern and a list of their stations in the 60's shows stations in very unusual growth patterns. The crude oil crunch really hurt them in the seventies and they shrunk down to less than 50 stations in the 80's. I think the final remains of MARTIN OIL SERVICE was sold 1n 1994 to MARATHON's EMRO marketing. MARTIN OIL SERVICE had a fair size terminal in Blue Island, Iliinois during the time I worked for Texas Eastern pipeline company and I worked in there many hours making our deliveries to them. Since they never had any of their own crude oil or refinerys and bought their products from different firms I always wondered if getting near open market distribution points is what caused their unusual growth pattern. Their large facility at Blue Island was fed by pipeline, barges, and rail. They had 2 large loading racks for their delivery trucks. During some of the years I worked in there the terminal contained their corporate offices, later they moved to a large office building nearby in Alsip, IL. The memorabelia we collectors find today may show either location (Blue Island or Alsip) as home base. Martin Oil Service's stations always sold gas and products at the lowest prices to be found on the street and supplimented them with prizes,premiums earned instantly at the pump or thru saving cupons in their cupon books.At times their lowest priced oil was rerefined from used oil. In the early years of our marrage we bought fuel at Martin in order to get our free box of laundry soap or other item we needed included in our purchase.Martin stations always carried kerosene for home heaters that they called "Range Oil". Martin's globes,uniform patches,maps, matches,etc. were fairly attractive and I will show some to you as the month goes along. Later I will pass some more facts along as well. I hope some of you have some Martin items to post as well as some more knowledge of the company than I have. I think Martin started as a family business and in some form stayed that way nearly to the end. I also seem to remember that folks our company delt with in Blue Island had family members in the other company in Carbondale. The large office in Alsip is now home of a very large church. I found an old news article dated 3-98 that said "Kanab pipeline partners announced it's subsidiary,ST Services,aqquired the terminal in the Chicago area from Martin oil marketing on 3-12-98 including barge and pipeline connections and 752,000 barrels of storage". And there went another Oil company into history!

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
This is a Martin attendents cap: " rel="nofollow" target="_blank">[img]http://img217.echo.cx/img217/1074/martincap7fh.j pg[/img]

[This message has been edited by BudE (edited 05-01-2005).]

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
This is one of the really nice globes from the MARTIN OIL COMPANY

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
This is a neat large jacket patch for MARTIN OIL SERVICE [URL=http://www.imageshack.us] [/URL The neat little guy with the salute always reminded me of the oildrop kids and he is on many of their products.

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Martin's finest products were always marked with the purple martin bird. These are globes from the 2 companies best fuels.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great info and pics Bud !!! Looking forward to more. Very Cool

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great info Bud. I can't wait to see more.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
I hope some of you have a few Martin items to show. I will post several globes,oil cans, ads,etc soon but I don't have a good picture of a Martin Station!

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Hera are a few items from gassigns.org
http://www.gassigns.org/martin.htm

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
This is the only picture I have of a Chicago area Martin Oil Service station.

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Here are the signs that Thunder posted

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
These are the stations Thunder posted! Thanks for the post!

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Martin facts for the evening:Fact one: Chicago like most all large cities is a kind of a rectangle with its Eastern border on Lake Michigan. Ever since Mrs O'Leary's cow kicked over the lantern and started the great Chicago fire no gasoline has ever been allowed to be stored closer than 5 miles from the city's eastern edge{Cicero Ave. IL Rt. 50 is as close as you can get} Martin was right across the street from Clark's big refinery in Blue Island where being just outside Chicago , they can get a little further east. Fact 2: Before we brought our pipeline to them which carried their products from Houston area to Chicago for about a penny a gallon they relied largly on barges coming up the Mississippi to the Illinois River and then up the canal into Blue Island, Martin Oil Co. owned at least two Miss. river tow boats for pushing the barges,MARCO 1 and MARCO 2, One of them burned in Joliet, IL, a little west of Blue Island along the river. There were casulties including the ship's cook.

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
I told you they sold used oil! LOL

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Here are a couple globes that lastgas and I both own. They are both from MARTIN OIL SERVICE.

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
They sold new oil too !

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
This is a typical ad run in the newspaper for a large Martin Station

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
In doing more research on the web for this COTM I uncovered a few things worth sharing. First, during the time I was around Martin they always maintained a presence in Denver. I found that there is still now a MARTIN OIL SERVICE Co. listed in Denver! I also found MARTIN OIL COMPANY's in Bellwood,PA,Mineral Wells,TX, Mount Vernon, Washington, and in Maine and Iowa! I can't but wonder if a connection exists and hoping you oldgassers in some of these areas may have some knowledge of their stations,etc.

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
I was fortunate to locate and buy a Purple Martin pump from the contractor that dismantled some of their stations.This pump was on U.S.41 in Highland,IN and has 2 of these signs on it.

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Here is a Martin grease can, The only one I've seen in years. If anyone has a Martin grease can to sell I'd like to buy it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great Job Bud..I enjoy learning new stuff..

------------------

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Here are examples of Martin maps from both the companies: URL=http://www.imageshack.us] [/URL]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Heres a couple match covers currently avail on ebay.

------------------

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
If you live here in the midwest back over 30 years ago we thought Sinclair was gone forever and watched as they regrew.I wonder if it could be possible with Martin too. Got an email earlier from a fellow oldgasser who has a phone number for them in Colorado and is going to do some research!

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Here is a closeup of the purple martin pump that is on the matches Hubba found. Same pump I got but I dont have that great globe. More Martin globes coming this week. More Martin matches: URL=http://www.imageshack.us] [/URL

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
From the inside of a cupon book and the back of a map are the Martin service station locations URL=http://www.imageshack.us] [/URL

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
A couple more interesting facts about this company: There is an organization called SIGMA (society of independant gasoline marketers of America) Sometimes they recognize individuals who have contributed in a large way to the overall betterment of the petroleum industry.In it's 40 year history SIGMA only presented the award 14 times. One was to Ronald Peterson from MARTIN OIL SERVICE,Alsip, IL on May 17 1976. Pretty good for an exec from a small company! In trying to figure out if Martin was a family firm I found a past President of MARTIN OIL SERVICE on the board of a Missouri firm. His name, Larry Martin!

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Wonder what the heck DCP means??

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bud, i dont know what DCP means..but I like that guys mustache.

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
More Matches

[This message has been edited by BudE (edited 05-13-2005).]

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
URL=http://www.imageshack.us][img]http://img199.echo.cx/img199/9692/forsale28yc.jpg [/img][/URL]

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B

[This message has been edited by BudE (edited 05-13-2005).]

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I guess it's sort of a study in contrasts, aa gas station giving out matches... LOL

Kepp it comin' Bud. Lots of cool stuff...

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Hey Thunder, Your right about that study in contrasts. I think the worst one now is how all the gas stations (around here) sell booze so you can tank up both the car and yourself then go crash.

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
I said I would post some more globes this weekend. Had to wait till Fri. the 13th was over.Bad enough to have to worry about the JJ jinx when my friend let me go up on a ladder to get photos of his globes. Here are some more. URL=http://www.imageshack.us] [/URL]

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great globes Bud. I knew the Xtra Special with the circles around the X existed, but I've never seen one like it until now.

The picture doesn't do the Premium Ethyl justice. I have that globe and it looks great lit up. Six colors...red, white, blue, black, yellow, and grey!

Bob likes globes.

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 05-14-2005).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Bob, My friend Art doesen't have any of his globes illuminated.Why dont you post that globe lit up? Got any more in your vast files?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm not sure this picture is any better. Both globes are from the Carbondale company.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's another from my collection.

K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
GREAT GLOBES YOU SPURED MY INTEREST IN MARTIN STUFF...........
YOUR LOOK'EN GOOD BUD! SMART TO!! NO JJ JINX 4-U.........
REX LIKES GLOBES

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
That Kero globe is really nice. Here are both company's globes for number 1 fuel oil. ( not quite refined enough to meet the standards for kero) URL=http://www.imageshack.us] [/URL][URL=http://www.imageshack.us] [ /URL][URL=http://www.imageshack.us]

[This message has been edited by BudE (edited 05-15-2005).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Since this is the Showcase and Stories forum I'm going to tell a story.
I've lost track of time, but I think it was early in 2002 when I decided to sell off alot of my collection to raise some money to buy more globes. I had a pretty good collection of anti-freeze cans that I was selling on ebay. I would include a picture of the can or group of cans I was selling in each of my ebay listings along with a picture of 50 or so one gallon anti-freeze cans stacked in a pyramid on my front porch to show off the other items I was selling.
I got an email from a guy asking about this Martin Anti-freeze can.

I hadn't listed it on ebay yet so I shot the guy a price. Although he had a few pumps and signs, he wasn't really focused on the petroliana hobby....yet. His ISP was a local company so I asked where he lived. Turns out he lived less than an hour from me. We traded several emails that evening. Turns out he had worked for Sinclair. He was retired from the construction business, liked old cars, etc, etc. We made arrangements for him to pick up the can at the upcoming Chicagolands Show in Peotone in the following weeks. We met at the show and became friends. If you haven't figured it out yet, the gentleman that wanted to buy the Martin can was Bud Ellinghausen. I've got to admit that I've been a bad influence on Bud. When we met he only had a couple of original globes. Now he has several and he's looking for more. Bud's petroliana collection has really taken off since then! Anyone that knows Bud, knows what a great guy he is. He's always willing to show his collections to others or lend a helping hand.

Here's a close up picture of the Martin man on Bud's anti-freeze can.

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 05-16-2005).]

K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
RANGE OIL does it for me......Bud is a great guy and has a super collection but most of all HE IS ALWAYS LOOKING GOOD...
REX LIKES GLOBES

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Happy Monday and best wishes for a great week to all! Lastgas puts it mildly when he talks about his influence on me! I have 2 Cushman scooters just like I had when I was a boy. He objected to those scooters and my other stuff being around repo stuff. He said rather FIRM to say the least"Heck you wouldn't have a repro Cushman,would you?" I cannot forget that. He also really rekindled my memory and my hunt for Sinclair. My dad and I worked for them, memories are everywhere now and thats GOOD! Bob Lastgas showed an antifreeze can and talked about his pyramid. I will go one step further and post another Martin antifreeze can with a pyramid ON THE CAN! URL=http://www.imageshack.us] [/URL]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bud,
I don't have a problem with repops, but they don't fit with the rest of your collection.
Can't wait to see more Martin cans.

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
URL=http://www.imageshack.us] [/URL] Here's another can from oldgas:

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Here's one that never made it:

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Remember when gas first went over fifty cents? My MARTIN OIL SERVICE pump was one of those that couldn't go over 49.9 so it had notices on it that the computer was showing correct gallons and ONE-HALF price! First pix is how it looked after 30 years in an open container and then after I got the first few coats of grub off of it. URL=http://www.imageshack.us] [/URL] [IMG] [URL=http://www.imageshack.us]

[This message has been edited by BudE (edited 05-19-2005).]

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
A couple MARTIN cans from the oldgas album. Have you noticed over the years they had a large variety of colors and designs in their cans? Silver and blue, red, yellow, lots of oil names, etc. Wonder why? Most companies stayed with some identifying color,picture, logo,etc. URL=http://www.imageshack.us][IMG]

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
delete

[This message has been edited by bettin (edited 08-22-2005).]

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
I have not seen any Martin pumps that had the black/white"contains lead" sign. The one I've seen had what I guess is Martin's own. Has anyone seen this type on other brands?

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Here is a nice Martin range oil can thats on ebay now.Be sure to bid thru Oldgas.

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Here is A MARTIN OIL SERVICE stamp book and stamps. We never saved an entire book because there were so many suggestions for items you could get for less stamps we turned them in for prizes before the books were filled. It was fun and you felt like you were getting stuff for free. The good old days! URL=http://www.imageshack.us][IMG]

[This message has been edited by BudE (edited 05-22-2005).]

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Inside the books

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
More [URL=http://www.imageshack.us]

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
stamps and stuff URL=http://www.imageshack.us] [/URL]

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
more [IMG] [URL=http://www.imageshack.us] ...50sb8te.jpg">

K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
BudE,
Thanks for all the great photos, bringing back memories of the Martin station on Halsted in Chicago Heights where all the local gearheads loaded up with Purple Martin so many years ago.
Ken

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
I'll start the day out with a Martin shirt patch

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Here are enough MARTIN stamps we can put in our books and get a new electric can opener! The second picture was a kinda sad one for me,It is their corporate logo. I took it on a cold winter day at MARTIN OIL SERVICE's headquarters in Alsip, IL as the last of the office equipment was being hauled away and the end had come.

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Some nice artwork on a map from 1956.

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
A nice keeper

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
The little things URL=http://www.imageshack.us] [/URL]URL=http://www.imageshack.us][img] URL=http://www.imageshack.us] [img]http://img216.echo.cx/img216/2726/supplies5gp.jpg[/img] [/URL]

[This message has been edited by BudE (edited 05-25-2005).]

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
This is it for Martin and I for COTM. I've enjoyed sharing with you. I want to wish everyone a wonderful holiday weekend and please say prayers for our armed forces. God bless America!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great job Bud!!!!

Thanks, Bud! I really enjoyed it and learned a few things too.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I'm impressed with the diversity of the items in your collection Bud. Quite an inspiration. Thanks for sharing it with us...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great job BudE. I really enjoyed it.

------------------
Scott Shipers
WANTED: Quart Picture Cans
Kansas City, Missouri 64152

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
BUD I LIKED IT! YOU DID A LOT OF WORK, THAT SHOWS ME THE LOVE YOU HAVE FOR THIS GREAT HOBBY OF OURS........I NEED A RANGE OIL GLOBE........REX

B
BudE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
I know this is late but I just wanted those who are not from this area to see how dynamic Martin made their stations. This is a small one. I was just able to get this picture.

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
sorry for being late to the listing

Here is a completely full (and extras) stamp book slightly different than those already posted:

------------------
Jim Rohn
Scottsdale, AZ

[This message has been edited by al8apex (edited 08-23-2005).]

Jim Rohn
Scottsdale, AZ
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved