Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82847 Thu Jun 29 2006 08:32 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hey all, I thought I would put some progress pictures up to show you what I have done so far on my gas pump cabinet. Its about 4 feet tall and 20 inches wide and 12 inches deep. It isn't too fancy more of a commercial pump style, but people who have seen it so far are very impressed and I must admit I am quite pleased with it so far. A couple of people told me I should put some more together and sell them, and I have been toying with that idea. I'm doing finish carpentry right now and something like this would fill the time (and pay the bills! lol ) between jobs. If I make any more of these, they'll be 3/4 inch plywood, the wood I used for this one is pretty well garbage for this sort of thing.

I made the clock face myself on the computer with some inspiration from real gas pump faces, and gave it a weathered look. Right now it is on a piece of paper, I need to figure a way to put it on something thicker like aluminium.
I'm trying to decide whether to go with a red scheme like Texaco or Sunoco style blue and yellow.
I apologize for the size of the pictures it's my wife's camera, and I don't know how to take smaller pictures with it.

Any comments, ideas or critiques are more than welcome.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#82848 Thu Jun 29 2006 08:37 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I'm very impressed with your work and think you have a great item to sell.

Maybe you should look on Ebay and acually buy weathered faces and add a touch of originality to the sign...?

great stuff

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
#82849 Thu Jun 29 2006 08:55 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Thankyou DCpate!
I forgot to mention that it will actually be a clock. I bought a movement at a local craft store for it. I figured that a 12 gallon face would be easier to tell the time with lol. I searched high and low for one that would make a "ding-ding" chime on the hour but I have had no luck with that unfortunately.

#82850 Thu Jun 29 2006 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GOOD JOB.
This is 1/2 size of a WAYNE 866 I did about 13-15 yrs.ago for a display at the UNION OIL MUSEUM here in town. I put 2 battery clocks in, 1 for Daylight Savings, the other for Standard time. Even through it has a 20gal dial, it's easy to tell time. http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/thunder_/DCP_0303-1.jpg
db

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 06-29-2006).]

#82851 Thu Jun 29 2006 05:57 PM
T
OP Offline
T
That is awesome Dick. Did you make it openable to the inside?

I have been thinking about the real clock face, is there an 8 inch diameter size available anywhere that anyone knows of? I checked some places and they are at least 10 inches.

#82852 Thu Jun 29 2006 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No hinges, just screws like original. Had to to change batteries.

Check with Ron Scobie, do a search on this site.
DB

#82853 Thu Jul 06 2006 10:05 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Well, it's mostly finished now. Just a hose and company decal left for now. It isn't any particular paint scheme, I just thought the black would really set off the red. Once it's gets good and dry, I'll dirty it up a bit to look old.

The next one is going to have a more roundish top and I'm going to wire it up for a globe and light up clock. Perhaps even some inside puck lighting.

Also, thanks to Frank Sargent for the Contains Lead sign, I really do appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by turnipkiller2 (edited 07-06-2006).]

#82854 Thu Jul 06 2006 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The cabinet looks great! It is something I will now think about doing. Not sure if you have thought about it, but alot of people (myself included) would like to build a cabinet like yours. But we would like/need a "blueprint". If you were to draw up some plans and add your photos, I believe you would have a hit on ebay and possibly here. I know I am always looking for plans on projects like yours. Might be something to think about.
Bob

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
#82855 Thu Jul 06 2006 04:11 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Thankyou Bob!

I have been thinking about all sorts of things to do and a plan set was one of them.

I'm going to have to make one more to change some things that I did to make it better and easier to construct. This one shall remain in the house as the first one I ever made.
I also thought an unassembled type of kit might be neat. If everything was predrilled and all it needed was assembly, it would certainly be an easy weekend father/son type project.
I will certainly keep you posted on how things are going. Thankyou again for the kind words.

Rick.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved