Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Globe of the Month will get started later this evening. This Months feature will be glass body globes. So if you have any 3-piece glass body globes take a few minutes to share them with rest of the oldgas community! Over the coming weeks we will look at the many different styles of glass body globes - wide, narrow, Gill, Hull, Banded glass, and of course the many different colored ripple body globes. Post them if you have them! If anyone needs help posting send the photo to me at olddutchgas@hotmail.com and Aaron will post them for you. Thanks!

Lonnie Hop

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's one of my favorites.

A Supertest Ethyl narrow glass globe.

Later . . .

Jim

[This message has been edited by T-way (edited 09-19-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
There are many different types of glass body globes. The vast majority of them fall into the 3-piece glass body category. These globes are milk glass and have a hole at 3 & 9 o'clock where the lense are fastened to the body with a small brass screw. The two most common glass bodies are the wide and narrow versions. The narrow version is about 5 inches thick and the wide version is about 7 inches thick. What many people do not realize is that there is an uncommon "in between" style that is 6 inches from front to back. I have only seen a few of these over the years and most of them have had Hall Bros. lenses on them.

If you have ANY glass body globes take a few minutes and share them with the rest of the oldgas community. Thanbs!

Lonnie

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 09-18-2008).]

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Another type of 3-piece glass body globe was made by the Hull Glass company. Like the conventional 3-piece glass body these have holes at 3 & 9 o'clock where the lenses are fastened. The big difference is that there is no milk glass behind the lense. There is just a 1/2" glass lip that the lense sits on. When you pick one of these up they are much lighter than a regular glass body and they were very prone to breakage. The Hull glass bodies come in a wide and narrow version with the wide being pretty uncommon. They also come in a screw base glass body version. I have only seen the metal screw bases on narrow Hull body globes. Texaco and Indian used a lot of screw base Hull bodies with most of the lenses being dated in the 30's or early 40's.

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 09-18-2008).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
in the few years i have been doing this,glass body globes are my favorites.here are the ones i have

gave me a chance to clean em up!still looking for a set of oval lense.maybe some day!

[This message has been edited by oldnfuelish (edited 09-18-2008).]

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
This is one of my favorite globes that I have. It is on a wide Hull body.

The globe below was an anniversary gift from my wife. In the recent California earthquake about 7 weeks ago, something fell from above and hit it, completely shattering the lenses and the body.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thats stinks about loosing that great globe. I think there should be a law against collectors in CA owning globes. To much shake rattle and roll!

You can send all your globes out to CO for same keeping

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's one body style that Lonnie hasn't touched on yet - the Banded Body style.

The lens openings are 13.5" across, just like a standard 'Capco' lens. If you look closely, you can see the notches on these lenses - they don't engage into anything, but they are there!

The lenses are held in by a 'U' shaped metal band with 4 studs coming off the back side. These studs go thru holes in the body and are retained by nuts on the inside.

This arrangment makes it easy to 'square' the lenses after installation as they are not tightly held by the band. This allows for expansion and contraction in the weather.

Later . . .

Jim

[This message has been edited by T-way (edited 09-19-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Next up in this months installment of Globe of the Month is the banded glass body globe. Jim covered the basics in his post and I would like to add just a few other facts. As Jim said and the first two photos show, there is a metal ring around the outer edge of the globe body that cradles the lense. There are also the 4 bolts at each "corner" of the circle that hold the ring in place. When you think about it, it really was a nice way to go. The ring cradles the lense and you do not have the two pressure points that you had with just two screws holding the lense in place like a convetional glass body.

Many times you see regular 3-piece glass body lenses in these bodies and they fit pretty well. But it is interesting to note that banded glass bodies also had lenses that were made specifically for this body. The metal ring has a small dimple in it at the 12 o'clock position and as you can see in the third photo there is a line up notch ground into the back of the lense at the very top that would line up with the dimple in the metal ring. The notch is ground into the lense just a little just like you would see at the bottom of a 15" or 16 1/2" lense.

Often when you see banded glass body lenses they are mistaken for gill lenses because there are no notches at the 3 & 9 o'clock positions like most glass body lenses. If you pick up a lense with no notches on the sides but it has the small line up notch at the top then you know it is for a banded glass body. The lenses actualy measure 13 5/8" in diameter across the back so they will fit on a 13 1/2" gill body.

Next week we will look at gill body globes and the different sizes that were used. I know many of you that are reading this post have glass body globes so please take a few minutes and share you pictures with the rest of the oldgas community. Thanks!

Lonie & Aaron

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 10-02-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Guys & Gals;

Later this week we are going to look at different types of Gill glass bodies, but in the meantime I know there are lots of glass body globes in oldgas members collections. Why not take a few minutes and share them with the rest of us! If you need help posting photos you can email them to me and we would glad to post them for you.

Thanks alot!

Lonnie

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Here is the only banded body globe I have. The lighted display base came with the globe and has a patent date from about 1930. I have also seen the same globe with the word "Rooms" replacing "Meals".

Bill Fortune
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Hi Guys,

Here is a night shot of the living room...all on wide glass.

Kevin

I offer quart can re-lidding, can rolling, lid stamping, and dent removal.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

WIDE BODY FRONTIER--ONE LENS

Frank Jordan
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

\
CROWN SILVER ON A NARROW GILL BODY

Frank Jordan
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Great globes guys, thanks for sharing!. It is Sunday evening just past 5:30 EST here and the week has slipped by me once again. I am going to take a few photos of Gill body globes right now and will post them later this evening. When you are reading this why not take a few minutes and take a photo of ANY glass body globe you have, I don't care if it is common or rare, graphic or plain, I like them all! Take a few minutes and share your photos with the rest of the oldgas community.

Thanks!

Lonnie

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved