Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#848 Thu Sep 01 2005 09:05 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Keep in mind Oil companies use vendors to supply products to their specs.

If they change paint suppliers, or start using a second supplier the paint has to meet their spec and be approved. Not NECESSARILY IDENTICAL to what HAD BEEN in use.. just close enough to be approved by the company..

Keep that in mind.. also if a key ingredient became no longer available or was in short suplly for a few years(ie WW2) there may have been a slight difference.. from the same supplier..

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#849 Thu Sep 01 2005 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pat & Dodogas -

...thanks for the replies - maybe it should be 'Pat, Paint Guru' (PPG)

...I have found some original cans of Gulf paint, but they were for other uses at the station, such as bathroom/office walls, etc...I suppose somewhere out there there must be original pump paint that could be matched...I'm gonna keep looking...if I do luck up and get anything usable, and can have those colors computer 'matched', I will post it here....

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
#850 Sat Dec 17 2005 06:29 PM
R
R
i came across a discussion from last august between ward zaharia and pat (ppg dealer) re esso pump colours. did the formulas thap pat posted work out o.k.? i am also starting to restore a pair of gilbarco pumps to esso colours. this is my first attempt and have had a problem determining a good match for the origional colours. any help would be appreciated.
rick

#851 Sun Dec 18 2005 10:13 AM
W
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
Pat was great and I did get the pumps painted and am in the process of ordering repo parts hoses ect. I had samples mixed from the formulas as per pats sugestion and the red and white were great colours in my opinion. The blue did not look good to me at all it was way lighter than the origional so I picked a new chip from my ppg books. I looked at the three books that I have for a long time and found thata jaguar colour from 1999 was the closest match but when the guy mixed it it was so far off the owner said that it was the worst chip match he had ever seen. So I had to go back to the books I am going to try to get a fleet book from my jobber this year as it would make things easier. I did end up picking a new chip and I do like that blue I can find the number for you if you like. I do second pats message of having a small amount mixed as the white is a old looking colour a little bit cream but that is what they used and I like to recreate as close as I can what was origional. I did use ssu paint

ward

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved