Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8410 Thu Jun 08 2006 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hey guys,

I've got a Duraglas bottle with a red painted spout on it. I think it was a gargoyle spout, but it's rusty and crummy. It has an air tube that extends down into the bottom of the bottle.

Anyway, I can't get this spout off... I tried soaking it in PB Blaster overnight, and it still won't budge. I was thinking about heating it with a torch...

Has anyone had the same experience?

Thanks,
Wes

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#8411 Thu Jun 08 2006 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Wes- try running hot water on spout at threads- should soften up whatever is holding it- thanks don

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
#8412 Thu Jun 08 2006 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Murtic acid [pool supply] will eat the rusty metal off without hurting the glass. Neutralize the acid with BAKING SODA & water, then wash with soapy water.
db

#8413 Fri Jun 09 2006 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the advice on the spout, guys.

Turns out heat was the answer... I tried soaking in PB Blaster for 3 days, to no avail. I tried hot water, too.

I finally broke out the propane torch, and heated evenly around the lid threads. I could hear the metal creaking and popping, so I knew it was both expanding and moving. I was careful not to heat the glass much. I then used a rag to unscrew the lid - it came off pretty readily.

Thanks again guys - luckily I didn't have to break out the acid - that was my next recourse

Wes

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved