Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Everyone!

Globe of the Month is alive and well! My apologies for dropping the ball these last two months. Sometimes life takes precedent over our hobbies, but Aaron and I are back, and we will be posting numerous photos of metal body globes in the weeks ahead. Feel free to post any photos of any metal body globe you have. In less than a month we will be at the Iowa Gas Show and will share photos of the metal body globes that we see for sale there. So post them if you have them!

Thanks!

Lonnie

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
The first thing we are going to look at for this months topic of metal body globes are low-profile and high-profile bodies. It seems pretty simple and basic if you have been collecting globes for even a little while. However, I remember many years ago, long before there were globe books or gas shows, that I saw my first large collection of globes. Being relatively new to the globe hobby I new nothing. The guy made a comment about a low-profile body and I asked the simple question of "What's a low-profile body?" Quite honestly he looked at me like I was stupid! He did then proceed to show me the difference between the high and low-profile metal bodies.

To this day I have never forgotten that experience and if I am talking to a new collector I am always willing and glad to explain even the most basic globe things. If you look at the photos of the two Thunderbird logo globes you will see that one is noticably taller and in the side view you can see that it is arched up to the center rib on the globe body. The shorter one is nearly flat from front to back when you look at the side view. The shorter one is obviously the low-profile. When you look straight on at the center of the low-profile globe you see very little of the metal body around the lense. When you look at the high-profile straight on you quite a bit of the painted body around the lense. Some companies like Sunoco and American (with the red dot logo)used mostly low-profile bodies. Cities Service used both as did most other companies.

Both high and low-pro bodies have a similar value. Some collectors prefer one over the other and many don't care either way!

In the photo here you will see two uncommon Independent Thunderbird logo globes. Virtually all Thunderbird globes are red, white, and black with these two being exceptions. IOMA (Independent Oil Men of America) is best know for their Red Hat logo globes. Standard Oil objected to the use of the Red Hat logo, they felt that it infringed on their Red Crown logo. Quite honestly I don't see the logic but the courts sided with Standard Oil and IOMA lost the right to use the Red Hat logo. In 1929 IOMA switched to exclusively using the Thunderbird logo. There are literally dozens of variations of the Thunderbird logo globes and next week we will go to our photo books and share some of the pictures we have taken over the years.

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 07-02-2008).]

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Next up in our discussion of metal body globes is a globe that I feel is undervalued and under appreciated. Many years ago when I saw my first Texaco leaded glass globe I thought it was one of the coolest things I had ever seen. The white panels, each arm of the red star, and the top and bottom of the green "T" are each individual pieces of stained glass and are "leaded" togather into a 13 3/4" circle and mounted onto this unique body.

It is pictured next to a 15" high-profile body for contrast. As you can see the Texaco metal body is much larger, measuring 8" deep from front to back. It also stands just as tall as the 15" body even though it houses 13 3/4" diameter lenses. Texaco also used a version of this globe with 22" lenses. This globe stands well over two feet tall and is quite imposing. The photo shows one of these globes in between two smaller sized leaded glass globes. We have seen photos of these large globes being used on five gallon visible pumps, talk about a globe literally dwarfing a pump and this is it.

By nature these globes are quite fragile and it is quite rare to find one without a cracked pane or two. If there are a couple of minor cracks in a couple of the panes it does not affect the value very much.

Texaco used these globes in the late teens and early 20s. Great looking globe and it is spectacular when lit up!

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Metal body globes come in a variety of sizes. The most common size being the 15" like the one pictured with the White Star lenses. They also come in a 16 1/2" size like the Red C globe pictured here. Both 15" and 16 1/2" metal bodies come in both high and low-profile versions. The Pride globe pictured has 11 1/2" diameter lenses and it is a size that is seldom seen.

A side note here, the correct way to measure lenses regardless of the type of body they went on, is to measure them from edge to edge across the back of the lense.

That's all for now, we will be posting more photos next week, until then take a few minutes and share your pictures of metal body globes.

Thanks!

Q
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Q
thanks for posting the pic's, i would love to have the quincy oil globe.

im always looking but never find, why........
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
There are probably several dozen different Independent globes on metal with the Thunderbird logo. Here are a few that we have photograghed at shows over the years. In the next few days we will post photos of some different metal body globe styles. If you have any metal body globes in your collection take a few minutes and share them with the rest of the oldgas community. Thanks!

Lonnie Hop

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 07-17-2008).]

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 07-17-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
[img]http://www.cruisin66.com/globes/peterson's.jpg[/img]

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Here's a picture of my Independent globe:

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i have 2 metal bodiy globes,both have been jarvised,but i still like em!heres the 1st
By oldnfuelish gotaa dig to get to the other but will post it later. mick

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a couple of different Red Hat 15" metal body globes. Like the Thunderbird logos, many different company names can be found displaying the Red Hat logo. Thanks to Butch Greer for sharing the first photo of his globe.

Aaron Hop

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here is a photo of a very early wider, flatter body with Jewler lenses shown in comparison to a standard high profile and low profile body. In our years of collecting we have only ever come across a couple of this style body.

Aaron

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Guys and Gals;

I know that July is "Vacation" month for many people. I also know that there are a lot of metal body globes in collections out there. Please feel free to post ANY photos of metal body globes that you might have. In the next few days we will be posting photos of the different size bases that are found on metal body globes.

Next week is Iowa Gas and we will be taking pictures of any metal body globes that we see there and will be sharing them the following week.

That's all for now, if you have any metal body globe photos - Post them if you have them! Thanks!

Lonnie Hop

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here is a photo of a Tydol 16.5" stepped up high profile body with a 7" base from the collection of Rod Van Pelt. Thanks for sharing this photo Rod!

If any one else has photos they'd like to share they are welcome to email them to us and we'll gladly post them for you!

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This first photo shows three different size bases, all of them are 15" diameter metal body globes. The globe on the left has a whopping 8 inch diameter base, the middle globe has a 7" base, and the one on the right has a 6" base like the vast majority of metal body globes.

Check out the the original Cincinnati Advertising decal on this 7" base globe. It is fairly uncommon to find metal bodies with the original decal since they did not last long when the globe was out in the elements

This Red Crown globe with the 8" base was used by Standard of Nebraska. I have only seen a few 8" base metal body globes and they all had Standard of Nebraska lenses. The base is the size of a lunch plate and must have gone on a type of pump that only Standard of Nebraska used.

I know this American globe is not overly exciting but it is interesting in that it still has the original yellow paint that American used. Why would you specify yellow metal bodies when your lenses are red, white, and blue?

That's all for now. Stay tuned next week when we have pictures of the metal body globes offered at Iowa Gas. If you have ANY metal body globes in your collection please take a few minutes and share them with the rest of the Oldgas Community. Thanks!

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a few photos of the metal body globes that were available at the Matthews Auction last week held in conjunction with the Iowa Gas swap meet. The two different Crown globes are both Standard Oil of Kentucky globes and are found on 16 1/2" bodies. The one picturing the crown was an early non-fired lens in remarkable condition for its age. The Ricfield and Loreco are both on 15" high profile bodies.

Aaron Hop

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
These are some of the metal body globes available at Iowa Gas last week.

Aaron Hop

The Standard globe pictured here was used by Standard of California and is fairly uncommon. Sometime down the the road we'll do a Standard Oil "Globe of the Month" and sort out which Standard Oil Company used which globes.

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 08-08-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Shown in this batch of photos is a very rare 11 1/2" Gasoline globe and a new discovery Crown Gasoline globe on a 15" body. This lens reportedly came out of California many years ago and nothing else was known about it. The last photo shows a unique pair of cast Tydol lenses. These lenses are quite thick and heavy.

Aaron Hop

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This Gorilla Battery globe is perhaps my favorite metal body globe that was at the show. The graphics on this 16 1/2" globe are great and it was priced at a fraction of what it would have been if it only said "gasoline" instead of "battery."

Aaron Hop

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 08-07-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Guys and Gals,

We had a great time (as always!)at Iowa Gas last week. It was great to visit with many collectors and fellow oldgas members. Please feel free to share ANY metal body globe photos you may have. If you like, you can email us your photos and Aaron will glady post them for you Thanks!

Lonnie

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OK I will add a few, here is a couple of my Benzol globes.

WTB. Arizona quarts,Indian signs/cans, Musgo/Shell/Speedway 79,graphic signs/cans,#616-886-4917...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Couple more out of the dungeon.

Mumms is cracked and faded but have not found a better one yet!

Where is all the metal bands guys?

WTB. Arizona quarts,Indian signs/cans, Musgo/Shell/Speedway 79,graphic signs/cans,#616-886-4917...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is my set of rare Buffalo globes....this company (Prairie City Oil Co.) was out of Winnipeg, Manitoba....mm

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

CLIPPER is 1 lens cracked
MARATHON is in original band w/ decal
SHAMROCK is in original band & paint
CHEVRON has a slightly different back
BLUE STREAK is single
SOCONY SPECIAL is milkglass 15"

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Holey **** !! Now we are talking, GREAT looking globes.. Ashamed to show mine after that stuff..
Ric

Wanted: Conoco, Marland, Eason, Cliff Brice, Speedway and Oval E stuff!
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I'm very fortunate to have seventeen original metal frame globes in my collection. How about five different Shell globes to start with.

Vern

[This message has been edited by gaspower (edited 08-13-2008).]

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Three from Standard of California (Chevron) and a Signal globe.

710 Offline
A couple of shell globes.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Great globes guys! The group of Buffalo globes is amazing, to say the very least. Some of the Shell globes shared are down right scarce, and make an awesome set. Thanks to everyone who has shared so far and lets see some more!

Here is a photo of a rarely seen Big Chief on a 15" low profile body. This is the original body to the lenses and still has the original paint in very good condition making it an absolutely spectacular piece!

Aaron Hop

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are a few of the rarer 15" globes I've turned up through the years..........

------------------
Good Luck on the Hunt
Lance / The Pogo Man
Pogo's Pumps
pogogas@telus.net

Visit our Website or FaceBook Page

Lance @ Pogos Garage

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Three from Richfield

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Can't forget about Mobil

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Finally, Flying A

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are some I have photographed in collections or at shows.

------------------
Scott Shipers

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
more................

------------------
Scott Shipers

Scott Shipers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
last few...........

------------------
Scott Shipers

Scott Shipers
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for sharing these great globes everyone! Here is a photo of a very uncommon Shell 400 Aviation Dry on 15" metal to go along with all the other great Shell globes we've seen posted. I've got a photo of the rare Shell Aviation with just the word "Aviation" across the shell that I will post later in the week when I can find it.

Aaron

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 08-17-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Great globes Guys, Don't stop now!

Here is a pretty uncommon pair of Cities Service globes on metal. It is interesting that Cities Service did not start using them until 1947 and continued to use them well into the 1950s well after most companies had stopped using metal body globes.

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 08-18-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
These photos come from long time collector / new oldgas member Ted Czerechowicz from Ontario Canada. Doc had posted these photos in Buys of the week a couple of weeks ago and I thought they were worth sharing here. I have never seen a metal body with a cast iron base like this. Resident pump expert Dick Bennet believes that it was used on a Bowser 97 Square Sentry pump. The lenses are also interesting. They are flat perforated metal and the green paint on them has a sand paper like finish. You rarely see these types of lenses in as good a shape as these. They look really cool when lit up with the light shining through the perforations in the letters. Welcome to oldgas Ted and thanks for sharing your photos!

If anyone has metal body globes they would like to have posted, email your photos to me and Aaron will get them posted for you.

We will dig through our photos archives and try to find a few other pereforated metal globes to add to this post. Thanks to everyone who contributed so far!

Lonnie Hop

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 08-19-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a couple of other perforated metal lenses on metal bodies.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Over the last few years I have picked up a cracked lense here or there, usually for not much money. Obviously the value on a cracked lense is minimal. I have a shelf in my shed that is 10 feet off the ground and one day I put a few of the cracked lenses on bodies and put them up there. From the ground they look pretty good! Please no JJ jokes!

Seriously though each of these lenses are fairly uncommon. The Mohawk is the orange background version and is seldom offered for sale. Check out the detail on Champion globe. There are only a few of these known of in collections but with the detail on the car, the speed lines, and the dust clouds behind the car it makes for a pretty neat globe up high on a shelf.

If you have ANY metal body globes in your collection plaese feel free to post them or email your photos to me and Aaron will put them up for you.

Stay tuned, we have a number of other photos we will be adding in the next few days. Thanks!

Lonnie Hop

710 Offline
Picture of my Associated wall. If anyone has any 15" west coast Associated globes not shown I would love to know it exists.

(Hey Neil, "Letson")

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Only a few companies ever used jeweled metal bodies. The ocasional jeweled body that has turned up over the years generally would have either Sterling or Dixie "Power to Pass" lenses on it. There are small round holes in the body at the location of each reflector and it has a small brass ring that holds the "jewel"n place. Pretty neat bodies when lit up with the light shining through the reflector.

A few jeweled bodies have turned up over the years that have 4" bases like the one pictured here on the left. These have generally been assosiated with the Winona Oil Company out of Minnesota. Any globe with a 4" body dates to the late teens or early 20s. There was also a jeweled body in a West Coast collection that reportedly had a 7" base.

We have several photos that have been sent to us from other oldgas memebers and we will be posting these in the next couple of days. Thanks for all the great posts so far!

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 08-21-2008).]

P
P
I sure would like to see a picture of a Sterling with a jeweled body. Anybody?

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Posting these two photos for Saivinsam. Neat pair. I do not recall seeing the "The New Premium Gasoline at the price of Motor" globe before. The Freedom Oil Works globe is one that is seldom seen also. Neat globe with the FOWCO spelled up and down and side to side. Thanks for sharing your photos Sam!

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 08-22-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Posting these two 11 1/4" globes for Roger Cherry. Note the 4" and 6" bases on these globes. I have also seen a small metal body globe with a 7" base which is quite unusuall. Neat pair, I have never seen the Chi-Namel Paint globe in the small size like this before. Thanks for sharing the photos! Anyone else? We will be glad to post your metal body globe photos. Thanks!

Lonnie

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 08-22-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are some photos of a few different uncommon 15" globes with Ethyl logos.

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 08-25-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a few more fairly uncommon Ethyl metal bodied globes. The Crown of Kentucky Ethyl is on a 16.5" stepped up high profile body. Take note of the Pure Ethyl, not the Purol Ethyl that is more often seen.

Aaron

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 08-29-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I found a photo of the very rare Shell Aviation 15" globe. We have only ever seen a couple of these lenses in all of years of collecting. Thanks to everyone who has shared, let's see some more! After the Labor Day holiday we'll be featuring some of the unusual shaped metal body globes as well the 18" neon globes and then we'll start up the next segment looking at glass bodied globes.

Aaron Hop

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Aaron,
Would the Kan-O-Tex been made for glass? I know they made glass bodies but only seen Kan-O-Tex use them.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
John,
You are correct that Kanotex did use the 15" glass bodies, but I have also seen Kanotex lenses that have turned up on metal bodies. Kanotex was not the only one who utilized those rare bodies, Pennzoil and Guyler also used them. We will feature these 15" glass bodies in the glass body segment of GOTM.

Aaron

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a couple of unusual shaped metal body globes. With the cut out corners the Colonial is actually an eight sided globe. It was used by Colonial Beacon Oil out of Boston in the 1920s. I do not know of another company that used that style of metal body globe.

Thie Pierce Pennant is a huge globe measuring nearly 2 foot across. It is a metal body globe that has a plastic base. When a few turned up years ago no one was sure if they were real. Since that time old station photos have turned up that show them used as canopy globes. With their size and a plastic base I can't imagine they lasted very long! This installment of Globe of the Month will run through the weekend so feel free to post any metal body globe photos you have. Thanks!

Lonnie

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 09-01-2008).]

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 09-01-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
The metal body "Globe of the Month" has pretty well run its course. Thanks to everyone who posted! Great bunch of globes, all the Buffalo and Shell globe were very impressive! Just wanted to add a few more photos of some unusuall metal body globes that I have seen in the last couple of weeks. The GLF globe pictured here is actually two convex porcelain faces bolted togather. The faces are 15 inches in diameter and I have seen a few of these on 15 inch metal bodies. This is the first time that I have seen them bolted togather with this unique base. The story goes that metal face globes like this were used on visible pumps at rural locations where there was no electicity to light them up.

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 09-18-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This Mobil Ethyl is the first one I have seen of this style. It is unusuall to find a globe with both the Ethyl word and Ethyl logo on it. What makes this one even more unusuall is the black letters. You see very few Mobil globes with black letters. Neat piece! If anyone has any more metal body globes feel free to post them. Aaron and I are moving on to the next installment of "Globe of the Month" featuring glass body globes. Thanks to everyone who participated!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved