Prior to 1957, D-X pumps used only diamond-shaped decals with the D-X logo.
When the DX pump plates came on the scene, they were big, bold, simple, and to-the-point. They appeared in 1957, and were available in several sizes, and in variations with rounded and sharp corners. The red and the blue plates were porcelain, while the gold ones were anodized aluminum with painted lettering.
Here's the standard DX plate:
The Boron version:
photo: John O'Hern
And, the very cool Marine Gasoline:
After the end of the pump plate era (1960s), decals again took over. There were also some faceplates for the 60s-70s style pumps that featured the DX logo...
[This message has been edited by thermactor (edited 06-28-2007).]