Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hey Guys 'n Gals!

I apologize for the delay in starting this month's FATW. Tara and I actually got married on the day that FATW is supposed to start, and went on our honeymoon shortly thereafter. We're back now, and I'm going to start the thread for this month.

So, it's time to share the petro relics that we've stumbled across in our recent travels, and check out what other people have found as well.
If you would like to contribute to this feature, simply post the pictures here or email them directly to me and I will post them for you. Be sure to include a story or description with your subissions.
If it's too close to the next installment, please note that I may hold your contribution for posting when the new FATW comes up on the 5th day of each month.
Send 'em in!!

Happy trails!

Wes

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
We'll start things off with some sights that Tara and I spotted on the way down to Louisiana for Christmas...

First, here's a neat old station on HWY 51 in central Illinois...

My dad remembered this building being an old Firestone showroom where he once bought a bike as a kid. It's located in the famous Cedar Grove neighborhood of Shreveprot, LA, where the riots happened in the 1970s. This is one of a few buildings on this street to be spared from the fires.

Here's what I believe to be an old Cities Service station across the street... Note the round porthole windows on the left side.

[This message has been edited by thermactor (edited 01-20-2007).]

[This message has been edited by thermactor (edited 01-20-2007).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here's a matching (suspected) Cities Service in the same city. Note the identical canopies and portholes.

Here's a very intact Phillips 66 cosmic station on old Hwy 80 in Shreveport. The interstate went throught just behind where I'm standing to take these pics. That probably spelled the end for this station. There's no convenient exit...

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here's an interesting use of an old station as a seedy windowless bar. I like the very 60s/70s sign though...

Neat Rounded-corner station...

A nice old 1920s hair station...

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Check out this great porcelain Gulf. It's an unusual configuration (to me, at least). Lube bay is on the right, washing bay on the right.

I spoke with the owner, and he said he'd seen pictures where the station had its pumps, and the street in front was dirt. The lot across the crossstreet was a "swimmin' hole."

Not exactly petro, but this old sign has always struck me as being a neat deco piece. (this is in my hometown of Shreveport, as well). I tried to get the pic to show the neon, and it doesn't do a good job showing the porcelain (white letters on blue).

Down the road a bit, here's a snazzy old neon drugstore sign.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Someone on oldgas once mentioned a station in Shreveport where one could still use old pumps. They had about 12 or 15 old electrics including 36bs, 39s, etc.

Well, these pumps disppeared. They were replaced with new pumps, but there are still a few neat things around on display...

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
And now, it seems pretty typical that I would go on a road trip and see lots of neat old stuff... But...

On the other side of the planet, in Fiji, I still somehow managed to stumble across a cool petro item! Tara and I were riding in a Taxi in Nadi, Fiji, and she spotted this pump! Sorry fir the nighttime pics - we had a flight to catch and couldn't wait around...

Does anyone have any idea what it is? I'm thinking it's most likely Australian, given that most things in Fiji are from Australia or New Zealand.

It's in remarkably good shape, with no rust. I sure wish it would fit in a checked bag...

Well, that's all for now. Anyone have anything they've stumbled across?

Wes

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I made the post about the old pumps in use in Shreveport. I saw them about 3 years ago when I went down there to pick up a pump I had bought. They were on the northside of town and the place sold high octane racing fuels. The picture of the building looks like the same place.

Bill Fortune

Bill Fortune
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is a picture of a great corner station in Leavenworth, Kansas. The second picture is on private property and I can't get any closer to get a better picture. NOTICE the dish on the pillar.

------------------
Scott Shipers
WANTED: Quart Picture Cans
Kansas City, Missouri

[This message has been edited by quartcans (edited 01-21-2007).]

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are some pictures from an antique mall in Tulsa Oklahoma I photographed while I was their last week.

A unique Texaco Country Club hat and patch.

------------------
Scott Shipers
WANTED: Quart Picture Cans
Kansas City, Missouri

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Here's the Speedway station in Canon City, Colorado..in the early 1940's..& as it looks today..with the front enclosed..it's now an art studio. Ron

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Wes
I have one of those pumps. It is stored at a friends house. It is Australian. I will see what the name on it is next time I am at his house.
Craig

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is a painted Texaco ad onthe side of an old bullk plant building. It has a southern exposure and has been pretty well preserved. Sorry for the poor pic, but the battery was dying and couldn't use the flash.

Thanks to DB for lightening the picture and sending it to me to repost.

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited 01-29-2007).]

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
BY FAR,, OUR FAVORITE,,, THE WASH AND~~~~ WIZ~~~~!~!!! L.O.L

[This message has been edited by T-BONE (edited 01-21-2007).]

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Welcome home Wes and Tara, I sent an email. Norm.

Norm Huff
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
This is a nice piece that I picked up at an auction here in Clinton,last fall. the puzzle is nothing to brag about, however the jacket is really nice. I thought the ring man was going to trample it before I got him to hold it up for bids. Norm Huff.

Norm Huff
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Wes,
You let your wedding and honeymoon get in the way of F.A.T.W.? You have to reorder your priorities man!
Congrats on your marriage. I enjoy F.A.T.W., love the pics.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
hers some pics of stations right close by.was told this was an old mobil,and when i stopped in the guy had an old pic and here it is today

[This message has been edited by oldnfuelish (edited 01-31-2007).]

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
a coupla old 66 stations,both were very big tried to get this bowser,no luck

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
dang camera keeps goin back to the wrong date,oh well these were all taken today these pumps belong to a guy who has been tryin to buy one from me.he picked up about 7 and a bunch of lubesters somewhere in nebraska.wants 750 for this pump,any takers?didnt think so!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
a porcelan in downtown antioch and the last,right by my house,heard it was a sinclair years ago have a good day guys

K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
hanging on an antique store.... upstate n.y.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
HOW MUCH, KMANN?

~DOC

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
doc.... that signs been up over that store for years. first time i took a pic of it tho. the owner also has a backroom with a bunch of gas stuff roped off. yup.... no gas stuff for sale.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved