Next Thread
Print Thread
#89573 Mon Apr 21 2003 09:36 AM
A
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A
I went to see my wife's family over the weekend and decided to look for pumps. They live in an old farming area. (won't say where!)
I found an old visible a few miles from my sister-in-law's new house, a gas boy next door to that and a Tokheim 39 down the street! I have never seen so many pumps in front of people's houses. I stopped and tried to buy them, no luck. The Tokheim was no for sale because it "let people know where the end of the driveway was" also the old farmer had died and his son liked the pump. It seemed the son (age 5 at the time) put his hand in the wet paint when the old man was painting it and got a "whippin". (that was a fond memory for the son?!) The old lady was nice but she won't sell that pump! Next I went to see the visible, It must be a Wayne 515, 615, or another company that looks similar. The guy's dog tried to kill me so I could only get 30 feet to the pump. It was all complete, was stout bodied like the Waynes I mentioned and had a hand crank. Everything looked to be there. I could not see the condition of the glass but it was there. The old, burly truck driver that owned it said he would sell it, "gold or cash, which did I have?" We went round and round and his buddy told him to sell it to me, I told him I had $500 in cash (I don't often carry gold) he seemed interested for a second but then said there were dove eggs on top of it and he did not want to disturb them! Damn doves! I will go back in a couple weeks and bring more cash and offer to move the dove eggs, he was a mean old man, maybe I caught him on a bad day. Anyone know what pump that could be? I wish I had brought my digital camera, never thought there would be so many pumps around. It was a Gilmore, I could see the decal in all the surface rust.
We went to a couple antique stores to ask the owners if they could point us in the direction of salvage yards or any pump collectors in the area. No luck there either. In the antique store we did find an unrestored Bennett 766 for $1500! (I hope the inside was gold plated) Another store had a National 64 that was in pretty nice original shape. It was mint green, unpainted porcelin. That one was $1150.
I came home empty handed but I will try to get that visible later. I have all my bro-in-laws and father-in-law looking for pumps for me now. I guess there was a guy on the side of the road a few months back selling antiques who had 8-10 gas pumps. He is gone now, they never told me about him! Everyone there is on the look out for me and will start going to the estate sales at the old farms.
I was just happy to see some old pumps... would have been happier to take some home but at least I got to see them. Next time I'll bring more cash and drive my truck. (not the wife's Honda! I think I lost the respect of the old man when I pulled up in that)
Jeff

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#89574 Mon Apr 21 2003 09:40 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Hey jeff..you could do like I did and invest in several copies of jacks book and give them to my relatives...they do the haggling..i give them 50$ for their effort when they score a pump...haha

#89575 Mon Apr 21 2003 10:03 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Arent you that guy that said a month ago, there were no pumps left on farms??? ...Sounds like you are getting it figured out ..LOL ,,,,,,DODOGAS

#89576 Mon Apr 21 2003 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds like a fun hunt Jeff - goood luck on that visable. Any word on that guy up by me or was it a dead end??

Hubba

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved