Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#91428 Mon Apr 28 2003 08:27 PM
D
dodogas Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Whoa Hammer Happy Hubba!!! I would try heat first(carefully), almost any screw will go easy after you heat it first. Penetrating oil and rapping it a few times with a drift would not hurt.
And Hubba, what choice language do you use when you miss and knock off a nozzle-fork or flatten out the door edge or put in a nice dent????
Oh I forgot (SEATTLE TATTOOIST) you would use purple SAILORSPEAK.......HA Ha Ha
DODOGAS

Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

#91429 Mon Apr 28 2003 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dodogas
Geezzzz,
you don't need a 10# hammer to knock the heads off, that's what you would have to use to miss the chisel and knock off the nozzel fork !!!!
IF your going to use a big hammer, get Dwaine to hold the chisel.

#91430 Mon Apr 28 2003 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Have to add my horror story. I own and run a auto shop. I used to store some pumps and pump parts in the shop. Not anymore!! I had disassembled a G&B T-176 pump and had the pump lower door stacked high on a pile of other parts in one of our service bays. I had a customer's very nice Honda Accord parked in the bay near these parts. Well I went to grab something near were these parts were stacked high and all of a sudden crash#### That door came flying down,hitting the rear quarter panel leaving a very nasty crease and dent. To make things worse the customer was on vacation in Mexico and I had to wait several days before I could tell them. I lost alot of sleep wondering what they were going to say when I told them. They ended up ok about it after I offered to pay for it. They still come in to our shop! That is my worst story.

------------------

#91431 Tue Apr 29 2003 12:50 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I guess I have to add what I feel is the worst that has happened to me (or maybe to a pump of mine). A couple of years ago when I just had accuired my Ljungmans mod 50, a square type clockface, I set it up in a "secure " spot behint the house. Put up a nice oval Esso all glass globe and just felt good to see it whenever I walked by. One day it got pretty windy, and the wheater reports talked about storm. I went down to the pump checking if it was safe there and everytning seemed OK.
When I came home from work that day, I sort of felt that something wasn't right, so I immediately went back and checked the pump - or - what was left of it.
It appears that the wind had been so strong that both doors had blew open and made it to a big sail. The pump had fallen on the pistol, which was pushed quite a bit into the pump, and the globe was in a million pieces. Needless to say, I moved it inside immediately, and still is trying to gather the strength to start restoring it.
Meanwhile I bought some other pumps to comfort myself... ;-)
//Claes

#91432 Tue Apr 29 2003 05:44 AM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
If it wasnt for us guys moving these gas pumps around, Chiropractors would be out of business

#91433 Tue Apr 29 2003 09:48 AM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
Impact... hammers... come on these are dainty little gas pumps! lol! You can't get any kind of muscle on this screw, it is sunk in and there is a little bracket on the other side of the side skin. Dick, you know what I am talkin about? Dwaine? I think the Wayne 70 has the same thing. I did not try heat yet, keep hearing that these skins warp when the wind blows. I was trying to leave the torch out of this... might be the only way. I already broke one, don't mind breaking these but I DO NOT want to strip them. No room to get anything in there without messing up the skin.
Maybe I'll take a picture... when my knuckle stop bleeding.
Jeff

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
#91434 Tue Apr 29 2003 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Drill it out Drill it out. An original gas pump doesnt have to have original bolts and screws. Awe ...what the heck do I know anyway , I'm Fat.
Hubba

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#91435 Tue Apr 29 2003 12:03 PM
D
dodogas Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
You guys are missing the point, Trust me I know. Drilling a philips, pretty easy it stays centered, Slotted , wants to skate sideways, Once the head is drilled off you can usually get it apart, Now trouble with drilling, screws are usually harder than the metal so if it jumps off , you can go thru the skin. You thought the drill was dull and then it driiled into the skin?? Yea, the screw may be hard and the skin is not, most people drill faster not slower when it does not drill. Wrong.
The heat , all you need is a small hot flame(not a propane torch). Get the bolt head dull red quickly , a few seconds , let it cool, should come right out, and dont strip the head first trying. So you are not putting any heat into the skin, hopefully (no rosebuds allowed).LOL...........DODOGAS

#91436 Tue Apr 29 2003 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL - Citizen Pain ....Rosebud.....LOL
Hubba

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#91437 Tue Apr 29 2003 01:31 PM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
Hey Hubba... I'm fatter than you, where does that leave me? (in retrospect I am much sexier, guess I'm OK)
All I have is a "normal" torch... how do I get a "small hot flame"?
No idea what rosebud is...
Jeff

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
#91438 Tue Apr 29 2003 02:45 PM
D
dodogas Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Rosebud tip makes a flame about the thickness of your finger, and if you brushed it across a pump panel it would probably blow a hole thru it. Can heat a chevy truck frame hot enough to bend it in about 3 min I think. In other words a "REAL MANS"Torch tip, which has no place in pump disassembly, maybe good on a cat or loader . You want a small tip, smaller the better, will get a screw head hot in about 5 seconds, with a flame the size of a matchstick.
Be worth it to load up your pump if you had to and take it to get it done. Usually it will expand and contract the fastener and then it lets go. Some call it the HOT WRENCH . If someone lit a rosebud behind you, you would know it and feel the heat from 3 ft away.............dodogas

#91439 Tue Apr 29 2003 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Talk to Dick about torching out the pump guts sometime. Rob

#91440 Tue Apr 29 2003 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lets here some stories about the critters that we may have found in our pumps. One day I hauled three Tokhiems home including a double from a cement mill off route 66 in arizona. What a bargan I bought the pumps for 37.50 each. I got more than I barganed for ! After removing all heavy guts at the mill, and then driving 60+ miles on dirt roads to get home I then unloaded the pumps discovering that one of the pumps was a home of several mice.They crawled up into the computer area when I disassembled the pump guts. You should have seen me jump when these mice came running out!! It is amazing that anything could survive in that heat, most have been 108 degrees that day. Happy pumping Rob

#91441 Tue Apr 29 2003 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rob,
No problem. Beats the hell out of BUSTED KNUCKLES. I've gutted 100's with a cutting torch.
I've had packrats jump out when I opened the doors. Found a BUZZ tail inside one. Spilled old gas in a van I had, never did get rid of that smell, sold the van.

#91442 Wed Apr 30 2003 07:49 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I use a cheater pipe and old vicegripes. I had Larrys pump gutted in 1 hr, angle plus leaverage, the little small bolts with screwdriver slots 2 pairs of visegripes , a point set to hold the head and a flater set to clamp the nut and start slow up& down and she'll break, now if we would liston to Tim Rohr, and youv'e got a lot of pumps to do , a 55 gollon plastic drum with a whench above so you can put half in the soda water solution and use the electrolises (not spelled right) then remove an turn upside down and do it agin , all the nuts will come off with your fingers, contacted him for that website , it will remove the old nuts & bolts and paint at the same time , all with in 24 hours , you guys are Alley ooop'en it , alley ooopp, oopp ,oop,oppooppp, ha ha ha cave men ,

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved