Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Does anyone have an answer or good guess regarding the question in my opening post?
I'd love to hear it!!
Thanks,

Neal

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I dont know the answer Neal so I will make up a fictional story.

After Wayne released its model 60 and everyone saw how absolutely stunning this pure work of art was, All the other pump Companies got together and pressured the Wayne pump Company to quickly release a Boxy plain looking pump. It just wasnt fair that this breathtaking art deco jewel get all the attention while all the other pump Companies were ignored. The Wayne Company knowing they had out done themselves with the model 60 and feeling cocky but somewhat bad for the other pump companies decided to put out the monolithic rectangle we know as the model 70. Everyone laughed and it was a big joke back then but as time passes memories fade and stuff becomes vintage the model 70 eventually became collectible...although no wheres near the desirability of the model 60.

The above story is just a load of Hoooey...I'm just being a goofball...LOL

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
LOL!
gooood one Hubba,

Hey all those 70s posted so far look good & i think they are all 4 ad glass models so far!?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are a couple of 70's

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Here is a picture and text that fellow oldgasser "Junior" sent;

I got this pump (cut down wayne 70) from my uncle. He traded me for an old fridge I had. I took it all apart and sandblasted the small parts at work the rest went to a pro. I decided to go with JOHNSON but didn't know what colors to use. I've never seen a johnson pump and couldn't find one on the internet. So i bought a porcilean sign and matched the colors at an autobody. I didn't use black and orange cuz I didn't want it to look like a harley pump. So I went with orange and white. It turned out good and I am very happy with it.

Thanks, Junior

We appreciate the post Junior!

Neal

1 member likes this: Yellowzebra
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It looks like POTM is rolling along pretty good this month! An atta boy goes out to everyone that contributes to our showcase features.

This Wayne 70 belongs to nice guy Bud Ellinghausen.

Nice looking pump you have there Bud.

Neal, is your email down? I haven't heard back from you on my last 3 emails.
Keep up the great work guys!
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Bob, I have been recieving and replying to your recent e-mails, the last being Wednesday the 25th. I have had no problem with my e-mails, feel free to call me if you want. Right now I am going to send you a test e-mail to see if you get it.
Thanks and take care,

Neal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Neal,
Nope, still not getting your emails.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Hi Neil here are my three Wayne 70's thanks for the post
Richard (gatorgaspumps)

G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Hey,

wondering if you could post these pics for me
the first pic is of a couple wayne 70's I picked up
recently and the others are my goodies from the front
range bash in colorado
thanks
dave
vintage-motorworks

Dave, THANKS for sharing the neat pictures!

Neal

[This message has been edited by gas pump freak (edited 09-02-2004).]

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I apologize to all of you for not getting this posted sooner, but I have I been in Mobile, AL for almost two weeks. My brother was quite sick, and passed away Wednesday.

Wayne introduced the Model 70 this way: A NEW, DISTINCTIVE WAYNE COMPUTER.
The pleasing simplicity of this design permits beautiful color combinations. Illustrated signs on four sides provide space for brand identification and merchandising slogans. Sturdy Wayne structural steel corner post construction with steel floors of cross-members, giving the same rigidity as the famous Model 60.

An interesting sentence from the description for the Wayne 71 Displaymeter was: "Merchandise profits of only 37 cents a day pay for the pump - the gasoline profits are free."

Wayne had revolutionized the gas pump manufacturing with the introduction of the Model 40 in 1932. During the next two years pump companies scrambled to design their own computers and finally settling on paying Wayne a royalty to use the Veeder-Root. It was the "Art Deco" period and Wayne brought out their 60 a year before Tokheim introduced the 36 giving them a one year jump on their cross town competitor. By the end of 1935 is was time to design a pump that would replace the 60. Times were changing and a pump with a plain design was in.
In 1937 Wayne introduced the Model 70. Wayne called it "The World's Most Beautiful Pump."
Around 1937 Wayne started to advertise "Honest Measure" heavily. This slogan and a picture of the German Shepherd dog appeared on the Model 70 series pumps as both a decal and a emblem that attached to the side of the pump.
A note should be made about the Model 71 and the Model 72.
Probably more Model 71 "Displaymeter" were purchased by Firestone than any other oil company. Firestone was a large user of display pump, purchasing both the 71 and Model 60 display versions.
While some believe the Model 72 was an airport pump and probably some did wind up being used at airports, the pump design patent was held by Firestone, not Wayne. The only one I have actually seen had Firestone ad glass in it. The pump could have gone anywhere after Firestone was finished using them. The 72 was introduced in 1949 and was only made through 1951.

A couple more things. I cannot find any evidence of Wayne making a "short 70." It is not mentioned in any of their literature. I have two possibilities, some people mistakenly think the Model 100-B is a short 70, and the other possibility is that some tall 70s were actually shortened. But if you look at the layout of the inside of the pump, this would require quite a bit of work.
The other thing is from my own observation is that Wayne may have used different size bases. I had two 70s next to each other and one was over 2" taller than the other. These are things the pump companies did without mentioning them in their literature.

Now for the hard facts:

Run lasted from 1937 to somewhere between 1954 and 1960. The reason I don't know the exact date is in the Blue Book, Wayne combined the serial numbers of the Model 70s with those of the Model 80s.

1.70. Sight glass just above face, four-ad glass panels. 1937-1960. 73" tall, 507 lbs. Probably more of these were made than other version of the 70. Why Wayne decided to move the ad glass panel to below the sight glass on their 1948 model will probably remain a mystery.
2.70. "Extenda-hose" on cable, shown with four-ad glass panels. Extenda-Hose gave a 14 ft. reach. 1937. 73" tall, 507 lbs.
3.876. Non-computing pump with four-ad glass panels. 1937-1947. 73" tall, 467 lbs.
4.71. Display case pump with ad glass panels on sides only. 1938-unk. 74.5" tall, 600 lbs.
5.585 & 586 pump lights for the 70. 1938
6.876-A. 1938 only.
7.876-C. 1938-1939.
8.876-D. Non-computing pump, 70C and 577 are same. 1940
9.577-R and 577-RC. Remote and non-computing pump with outside sight gauge and no ad panels. 1946.
10.70. Sight gauge moved to top of pump with ad panels below. 1948
11.72. Low pump for Firestone. 1949-1951

[This message has been edited by Jack Sim (edited 09-04-2004).]

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
2 members like this: Yellowzebra, Yellowzebra
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack,
I've very sorry to hear of your loss.
Your post with the info on the Wayne 70 was above and beyond the call under these circumstances.
Bob

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Jack--sorry to hear of your loss.Our prayers
go out to you and your family.

------------------
JERRY

JERRY
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Jack, I am very sorry to hear of your loss! I can assure you that this will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Please let me know if I can help in any way.
Sincerely,

Neal Dunn

PS- thanks for the great post on the 70.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Jack I would like to offer you my condolences, hope you are doing well under the circumstances.
......................Frank

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved