Next Thread
Print Thread
#9410 Thu Sep 27 2001 02:19 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I see a lot of parts for visible pumps at swap meet but almost never run across the old gate valves. What happened to them? Did they get melted down or where they put to use in some other area?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When they invented the trigger nozzel, gate valves were no longer required, or needed. Check your local plumbing store for Quick Shut Off valves. They are not cheap.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I see your point, Tim. They must have been largely discarded when they became application obsolete. All kinds of gate valves existed for different applications, so I suspect the visible pump valves were just tossed. I occassionally see and here of one for sale (an original). It's the same thing with spinner/jars... if you dont find one on an old pump, they to must have been discarded cuz I dont see alot of them either. BTW, if you're looking for a gate valve that's sorta vintage looking, check McMaster-Carr. I replaced the handle on one of their gate valves with a vintage looking handle I got Gas Pump Heaven, and it blends right in with the asthetic of the Fry 117 I put it on.

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Another theory: when WWII broke out, all sorts of metals were melted down for the cause. Maybe a lot of them went to smelters and became bullet casings.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved