Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#9473 Fri Mar 03 2006 07:04 AM
S
SteveW Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for all your replies. Finally, I left the weight out in the pump as you suggested. In the other pump, I have put it in. Depending on how I like it, I might take it out later...

See the attached pictures - this is my first gas pump restoration. Texaco Sky Chief - but actually I really like the silver metallic paint without the sign a little bit better.
Only problem is to adjust those doors - any tricks how to make them close tight? Or is it a general problem with all of these pumps?
I will post pictures of my other pump soon.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#9474 Fri Mar 03 2006 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CHA-CHING! WOW...THAT LOOKS LIKE A BRAND NEW PUMP! GREAT JOB! ME LIKE ME LIKES! YOU DEF HAVE TO POST THAT IN SHOWCASE WHEN IT'S DONE! THANKS FOR THE PEEK!

~DOC

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#9475 Fri Mar 03 2006 09:41 AM
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Great job Steve, the pump looks great. I usually set the doors before I install the meter assy. I open the opposite door and reach through the pump and tighten the hinge scews will someone else is holding the door closed. If the door is sitting too low you might try swaping some of your hinges around so they fit higher on you pump legs. I have bent some of the hinges up or down with some even presure but they do break so be careful. You can bend your hinge on your door up or down also but that could ruin your paint job. Hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck and did I say it before great looking pump. Richard

#9476 Fri Mar 03 2006 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ok I will try to break it down quick...

The top trim part above the door = that can be moved down so that it covers the top lip of the door about 1/8 of an inch, then to open the door you push DOWN on the door and swing it under the lip. That is the original set up in the design. This keeps the top of the door tight and takes up the gap.

As for the height of the door = that can be adjusted by using washers to stack on the hinges - but if you want to do it right, the hinges "pin area" where they attach to the frame - that hole should be tapped with threads on the top, just look they are probably there... You put a long hex bolt into the tapped area and screw it down from the top of the hinge that will cause the hinge to be lifted up off of the frame hook and will adjust the height of the doors. I hope you under stand this? I really do not want to have to go out in the cold and open mine to take a pic!

As for getting the doors tight against the sides = this is done using washers on the door side of the hinge, you have to either move the door out buy putting washers between the hinges and the door, or you have to "bend" then hinges to get proper set back... DO NOT USE HEAT when bending the hinges, always do a cold bend and just tap it a few times with a hammer with the hinge in a vice, that will move it enough...

Hope this helps - your pump LOOKS GREAT!!!

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#9477 Fri Mar 03 2006 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF I WAS YOU - I would only mess with the TOP TRIM part...

That pumps looks GREAT, and for the most part those doors NEVER fit right. Since this is already done, just move the top trim down and leave the side gaps alone.

Do not risk a scratch in the paint job.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#9478 Mon Mar 06 2006 06:30 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Great Job on that pump. You are inspiring me to try one myself. I Think you guys make it look too easy. LOL

#9479 Tue Mar 07 2006 04:40 PM
S
SteveW Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the tips!
Glad that you all like the pump. I will post some pictures in the showcase section when the other pump is done - that will be in a few weeks since I am on the road for the moment.

@TerryL - you should definitely try restoring a pump yourself - you will love it and probably won't stop doing it ever again - that's what has happened to me... I already have another pump waiting (and a lubester and an oil cabinet...). My next pump will be a Bowser 575, unfortunately one door is missing. Anyway, a nice project.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved