Next Thread
Print Thread
#9545 Fri Feb 03 2006 06:15 PM
P
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
P
I bought a Standard Oil sign at Rex's sale and the lexan is cracked. My question is what can I use to glue the cracks back together. I am going to display it when I am done so all suggestions welcome.

Thanks, phil

Thanks, Phil

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#9546 Fri Feb 03 2006 07:05 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Phil you can use model glue if it is not going to see the weather. If it is outside try some clear liquid nails or silicone. You dont want it to show up bad when you lite it. You could also call a local sign shop to see what they recomend.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
#9547 Fri Feb 03 2006 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Phil,

First off, it's probably not Lexan (polycarbonate). Lexan typically does not crack unless under extreme low temperatures. It's most likely acrylic (polymethyl methacrylate), which stands up to weather (UV) better than Lexan, but is brittle and prone to cracking. Just a guess.
If it is acrylic:
Bonding agents exist for acrylic, both for its biomed uses as well as in manufacturing.

A quick search of the web, though, shows that the most promising and affordable looks like Ambroid Pro Weld, seen here: http://spruebrothers.zoovy.com/product/AMD110XXX?META=froogle-AMD110XXX

If you think it's Lexan, though, this will not work and you'll want to try something else in the hobby industry.

Try not to get it on the exposed front surface.

If you do, you may end up having to wet sand and plastic polish, which I know you don't want to do, because then you'd have to do the whole thing.

Good luck,
Wes

[This message has been edited by thermactor (edited 02-03-2006).]

#9548 Fri Feb 03 2006 09:01 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
A guy named Lance gave me a good tip, apply glue from the display side, it will wick thru and the mess/cleanup will be on the unseen side!

#9549 Sat Feb 04 2006 01:40 AM
P
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
P
Wow Wes,

Great reply. Thanks to you Brad and dodo. I tried a local sign shop and they brushed me off so I thought I would ask the experts. I did not know that there were nuclear scientists on this site (Wes)

Thanks to all,

Phil

Thanks, Phil
#9550 Sat Feb 04 2006 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nuclear scientist? I wish... No, just a lowly engineer.

Wes

#9551 Sat Feb 04 2006 07:45 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
No kidding Phil. I cant even say the words & he is spelling them & giving the definition to them

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
#9552 Sat Feb 04 2006 08:30 AM
S
S
I have used cyanoacrylate bonding agents very successfully on all types of plastic - especially Lexan and PMM acrylic.
Cyanoacrylate is what "Krazy Glue" is made of - but don't buy or use Krazy Glue! It is a very low-grade product, full of stabilizers and fillers.
Go to a model airplane shop and buy "Thin" cyano glue to seal a crack. This stuff will wick into the crack and if you get lucky, you will barely be able to see the repair. It will definitely stabilize the crack.
This glue comes in several thicknesses. If you need to fill a bit of a gap, get the medium or thick.

Be very sparing with your application of the glue. It dries clear, but if you use too much, it dries whitish, and can "fog" surrounding surfaces when it "goes off" - cures more or less within 5 minutes or so.

Always looking for Texaco Canada, Supertest, White Rose, McColl Frontenac, and Miller Oil Co. info.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved