Next Thread
Print Thread
#97031 Tue Apr 08 2003 11:25 PM
A
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A
I was looking at my new pump, the Wayne 100 a few posts down. It has the original paint and was a Chevron Supreme. You can still see the original stickers and one side ad glass is perfect.
My question, should I restore this as a Chevron Supreme? It seems like it should go back to what it started as... is it a big deal? There seems to be a "cool factor" in taking an old pump like this back to its glory days.
I do not like the Chevron colors all that much, there are others I would rather do. I don't want to rob this pump of its history though.
What do you guys think?
Anyone know where to find the original paint colors for a pump like this? There are a few old coats of paint there, where do I find the original color pattern Chevron used?
Thanks!
Jeff

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#97032 Tue Apr 08 2003 11:43 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Better sell that ad glass to me !! Original color was probably green (like on a texaco Sky Chief sign) and cream.. with that ad glass, By the time your pump was made or a bit later, I think in the late 50's they went to all red or blue depending on the grade of gas. I like to see a pump done original, BUT you have to look at it every day SO go with what you like, you are the only person you have to please... DODOgas

#97033 Tue Apr 08 2003 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pumps are like hot rods, you just want to make them look good. I have yet to hear some old fart tell me that I screwed up the pump by doing it in a different brand or color. If keeping a pump "old" and rusty was keeping the value up, I would still restore them to my colors.

Do it anyway you like.... It is something that you will likely look at for years, would you paint your house with different colored poka-dots because it was painted that way by the builder?

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

#97034 Wed Apr 09 2003 04:58 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jeff, I suggest you get the book "gas pumps collectors guide". You can find a link to Amazon here at Oldgas where you can buy it and support Oldgas wth a buck or two. The book has information of most gas companies color schemes, and also paint codes from 1960 or so. I dont have the book here at work, so I dont know what color your pump was, but I'll give you all the color codes (PPG Ditzler 1960):
Green 41151
Cream 80664
Blue 10666
red 70329
Gray 30003
I bet someone else here can check how the Chevron pumps looked...and as it have already been said...you can do it anyway you want.
Good luck with the restoration!
Claes

#97035 Wed Apr 09 2003 06:22 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
You said it yourself, you would like to do an other company . that great , now you need to figure out witch one you want to do , and buy everything to do it ,then you can figure out the colors, some of these little pumps have a punch out on top for a globe . so you need to buy a globe ring, if the light isn't there for the globe I have used the strip that goes inside a light box with 2 screws one on each side and theres a thrieded hole in the center for wire pipe you can buy in different lengths and a light socket will screw on it for your light ,run the wires to the switch and wa-la, and sale your add glass(chevron)to dodo,

#97036 Wed Apr 09 2003 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have had alot of pumps that were many different companies underneath the top coat. You should do it they way you want and if it isnt Chevron sell the ad glass to Dodo and if you find a Marine plate under the paint sell it to me - LOL - Naw - just have fun and do it the way you want. - you have to look at it.
Hubba

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#97037 Wed Apr 09 2003 09:14 PM
A
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A
Thanks guys, I think I will try to find a cool color scheme and keep it Chevron. It just seems cool to take it back to the way it began. I don't know where I got this streak of nostalgia, if it was a car I would hack it up and make custom! lol
Anybody have an extra ad glass to fit? I noticed they are not repro.

#97038 Wed Apr 09 2003 09:33 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Do it in the cream'n'green the 50,s red and blue are WWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!! overdone...I think people are going to start OD'ing on those colors.. The old colors really give a look of a different era and age.(solid colors are OK if thats all the brand used, but with Chevron you have a choice.) Look back in pump of the month, there is a proper green&creme shown in there.I got an incomplete Wayne 70 had 1 ad-glass, yes same one, thats why I was trying to get yours.....Good luck....DODOgas

#97039 Thu Apr 10 2003 10:40 PM
A
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A
Cream and green it is... now sell me your ad glass! lol.
Will it be hard to find another ad glass like that?

#97040 Thu Apr 10 2003 11:28 PM
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Elvis.... I found a Wayne 70 with the Chevron creme and green on a farm a few days ago and am in the process of trying to find a working pump so I can trade the farmer.... it still has 3 of the 4 add glasses in good shape and I think the color combo with the add glasses looks pretty nice. bob

#97041 Fri Apr 11 2003 08:11 AM
A
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A
Hey husky, send that pump out to Cali!
I have seen lots of good working pumps on ebay from the 70's very cheap. Check it out.
Let me know when you want to send that pump out to me!
Jeff

#97042 Sun Apr 13 2003 01:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jeff, I just saw your Wayne pump pics. Great find!! I have a pretty large collection of pumps and have restored a few of them so far. I personaly really like the looks of your Chevron pump just the way it is. It has a very nice look to it unrestored.It has personality and has that clean rust free original look to it. I love pumps that look that way. If it was mine I would enjoy it unrestored,put it aside and find another pump that does not look so clean and restore it.This is only my personal opinion of your pump, and what I like to do with pumps. I am preserving a number of pumps that look simular to yours in finish and quality(unrestored). Restoring only the rusty badered ,and ugly ones. I don't mean model# ugly just fit and finish. That pump is awesome take your time and think about it before you start. I hope this does not confuse you,just wanted to add my opinon. Good luck!! Gas pump Rob

------------------

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved