Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9979 Thu Jul 07 2005 09:42 AM
R
OP Offline
R
The Michelin Tires Company had a factory in Milltown, NJ from 1907 thru 1930, I am looking for Michelin photographs or advertising items, made in the USA between 1907 and 1930 showing the Michelin Man (Bibendum), some great items were produced for their advertising, anyone with information please contact me. Thank you.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#9980 Thu Jul 07 2005 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
HEY RUDY! WELCOME TO OLDGAS! I KNOW YOU FROM THE COCA-COLA COLLECTORS CLUB SEVERAL YEARS BACK! MIGHT I SUGGEST A MILLTOWN, N.J. HISTORIAN COULD STEER YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION....MAYBE A GOOD PLACE TO START.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#9981 Fri Jul 08 2005 07:07 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Hi Doc, Yes! Yet again afflicted with another collection, this time more serious than ever, I was already collecting Michelin at the same time than soda signs, I wrote a book on The Michelin Man (Bibendum) Automobilia collectibles that will come out in September, nearly 20 years of collecting... Good idea about speaking to a Milltown historian but I've already been there, the people of Milltown were very helpful with history and opened their doors to me, but I failed in bringing home a trerasure!

#9982 Fri Jul 08 2005 07:33 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Rudy Welcome to Oldgas!

I can't help you with the history of Michelin in America but I am hoping that you can help me identify a character that may be Michelin related.

I bought this guy along with two Michelin Bibendum's at a flea market here in California. No one has been able to tell me if this guy was promoting Michelin or some other tire brand.

Any ideas?

C Cragg
#9983 Fri Jul 08 2005 07:44 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Hi,
Not Michelin, but it looks European, more likely a trucking company mascot, the people designing this piece don't seem to have spent much thinking about the tire's details it seems very generic, it may even be a tire dealer display but I doubt it, I really think it would have been about trucking. Hope this helps, I have never seen this figure before.
All the best.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved