Nice pump plates guys!! So why don't we just talk some more about pump plates?

One of the most widely known trademarks in the petroleum business has to be the five-pointed shield with the red Pegasus, like the one shown here…..

This image was used by Socony-Vacuum from the early 1930’s to the late 1950’s, when the company’s name was changed to Socony Mobil. The shield is essentially square (it’s as wide as it is tall) and is most often seen on porcelain signs and product containers. Strangely enough, I don’t think this shield was ever used on pump globes. The most commonly seen signs are pump plates……I don’t recall ever going to a swap meet, oil show, or petroliana auction where I didn’t see at least one of these signs offered for sale. They’re approximately 12 ½” x 12 ½” and come in four different “versions”, as shown below…….

The ones with solid blue borders have a manufacturer’s mark and date on the bottom right corner….in this case “I.R. 46”. The 46 means 1946, and the I.R. refers to the manufacturer Ingram-Richardson (thanks to Claes - Fast 66 for providing this name). These pump plates are the earlier version (dated in the 1940’s up to 1953) and were used mostly in the eastern U.S.

The ones with the thin white and blue border have a manufacturer’s mark and date on the bottom center….in this case “I.R. 54”. These are a later version by the same manufacturer (Ingram-Richardson) and are dated 1954 and later.

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio

[This message has been edited by pegasus (edited 03-06-2005).]

[This message has been edited by pegasus (edited 03-24-2005).]

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas