Just my opinion.....

To think that prices were either high or low is likely based on comparison to other recent auctions or known private sales. It's fair and reasonable to make those determinations based on relatively current trends however, values are best considered within a wide, variable range. I don't necessarily think anyone paid too much or "stole" anything. The new owner was the person willing and able to pay the most, on that day, out of the audience at hand. No two pieces are identical and each transaction is unique. Every day delivers a new reality.

As far as the "added neon" items. Drilling holes in a sign, for any reason, regardless of it's condition, diminishes value. At least to some degree, it has literally been destroyed. Now add neon to a piece that never had it in the first place and you have created a fantasy sign. Even though you spent some money during the process, surely it can not have the same value as one that is all original.....at least to the purist. I will admit though, in the auto hobby, Hot Rods and Resto-Mods often sell for more than their factory-stock counterparts. It's all in the eyes of the beholder.

I must emphasize again that this is simply my personal outlook. Thank goodness we don't all think the same. I have enjoyed this hobby and the people in it for many years. I intend no criticism or judgments made towards anyone. No matter what the piece, unless you happen to have a double...whether it's "mint", a "barn hanger", original, modified or even a reproduction...it's your best one and you can be proud of it.

Last edited by Donald D. Brock; Sun Dec 03 2017 07:37 AM.