I bought this sign a few weeks ago from an estate. I did some digging and contacted the family to find out more about it. They were nice and told me all they were told but wish I could have gotten more info but here is what I have so far

The family said the sign was a gift from their grandfathers best friend . Their grandpa told them as a young man his friend got a job rebuilding transmissions at a car lot garage that just opened in his hometown (now we call them the service department) Shortly after the lot opened the owner died and his best friend lost his job and the owners widow closed the lot and decided to sell the business. When he was loading his toolbox from the shop he asked her if he could have the sign and he took it home with him. 40 years later he gave it to their grandfather who was using it to cover a vent on their house.

The sellers didn’t know where the lot was but remembered that their grandfather told them he grew up in South Carolina. I tried a bunch of google searches to find out more or even confirm he was working in South Carolina at that time . I couldn’t find anything else out about the owners name or business . I was trying to pinpoint the city or even state it started its life but definitely thinks it deserves a better life than covering a vent on the bottom of an old house .

It was painted green on the back I removed all the paint and can see traces of lettering painted on under the paint it looks like the last letters of michau also numbers in the glaze probably by the sign maker 30879.

That’s all I can find out on my own and google . I know old gas members can help me with the last pieces of the puzzle like where was this business at ? How old is it ? Anyone familiar with the lot or name? I plan on selling the piece (no I’m not trying to sell this now so please don’t ask).

This is part of the fun of the pick for me....finding the history of these pieces we display and preserve . I’m only 36 so I missed out on cruising in the coolest cars ever to be made with big signs and neon lit the streets. Now I just see Walmart’s Starbucks dollar stores chain fast food joints and strip malls .

Any information u got I appreciate and look forward to reading.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg